• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Audiophiles! Where are you?

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I would be surprised if we didn't have a higher than normal population of audiophiles among our ranks here. I can't be the only crazy audio nut here can I?

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Let's see if I qualify.
Three solo albums.
6, 7, and 9 string guitars.
Bass guitars, drum set, keyboards, and a recording studio in my house.
Oh, and I'm not a professional musician (even though I did play bass for a "The Voice" contestant last weekend).
Any mp3 less than lossless quality is considered "total crap".
I might qualify. ;)

Better brewing through science!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
LoveofRose, you win.

I've got decent pitch but not a nice voice on its own, it's best used in a choir or something, it's the only instrument I can play. Discovered in music class that I can't play an instrument and read music at the same time, just not that coordinated... however, there is a whole list of songs I can recognize from the first bar, sometimes even before that. And I can usually identify songs played backwards if I know the song already... (this holds true for Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden at least).

I love the sound of vinyl but still haven't hooked up the record player in the basement. Not because I don't love the music, but because I have copies of most of it in other formats and I'm lazy as hell.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Allrighty! I'm crazy about vinyl and have my record player spinning more often than not playing a very few new records but I have a large collection of thrift store vinyl that I basically pay about 25 cents a pound for.

It always amazes me how much good music is out there for pennies.

ymu4uba9.jpg

And it sounds so good. I repurposed an older home theater setup to play stereo in the TARDIS. It's a B&K Reference 50 and an older Outlaw 5 channel amp and some old Definitive Tech speakers. I have to say I'm very happy with how good it sounds!

If any of that wasn't gobbledygook then you might be an audiophile. Lol.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Almost as good as "Almost as good"

I have a stereo system set up in the basement where I have a brewing area, exercise room and a man cave. I still play music from my original (mostly from college days), lovingly kept, vinyl collection of over 400 albums. All of my original components have been replaced with the exception of my turntable. I have the address of a place that repairs vintage equipment and am considering having them redo my old 105 watt/channel, CR2020 Yamaha receiver because it looks, and sounds, so awesome. Just google "Yahama CR2020" and click on images for some great photos. I believe the repair price is one arm plus one leg.

I also have a few hundred CD's which are generally played on bottling days. It's just too inconvenient to flip an LP every 20 minutes as opposed putting 6 CD's in the carousel when sanitizing and filling enough bottles for 18 gallons of wine/mead.

CD's are supposed to be almost as good as vinyl quality. Downloads are supposed to be almost CD quality. So I guess most youths of today are listening to music that sounds almost as good as almost as good as in the "good old days".

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It's not hooked up yet (lazy, remember?) but I've got my dad's old 4 channel Heathkit amp and his AR-3A speakers (I think, the tag fell off the front and they're too heavy to check the back). I also have a USB-compatible record player, I had gotten an old one from a garage sale but it was one with the funny arm thing (my dad's was drag-and-drop) and if it did still work, I couldn't figure out how to use it.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Heres the selection here...opposite side has more....

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1406123292117.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1406123292117.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 20

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Wow. That's some selection! But that's not a "ten cents per pound" kind of place like the ones I go to. You know what I mean, where I have to wear a dust mask and paw through boxes on the floor. Only one step above dumpster diving. Lol.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Well...thats true....although there may be some obscure titles here....will post some of the more amusing ones next time i am at Het Goed. I used to sell audio equipment, and still have a linear tracking turntable, some big speakers that outperformed Bose, IMO, and a few odds and ends in storage over there.

Sent from Arthur Dent's towel smothering a volume of Vogon poetry, some of which just leaked out.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well the nearest I ever got was some years back. Can't remember which tone arm and cartridge I liked most (a friend used to change his regularly, so I got to play with his leavings - moving coil catridges though).

Pre and power amps from Naim, and a pair of large, rather elderly B&W speakers standard bass with electro-static mid-range and tweeter units, the size of small washing machines VVV heavy.

Linear crystal, oxygen free silver speaker cables. Oh and the turn table was a Linn Sondek.

Plus a nice condition ex-BBC Revox reel to reel for playing with......

All long gone, almost forgotten - when I had time, enthusiasm and money to burn.

Now just a partner (Clare), house, 5 cats and an exhausting job.....

And MEEEEEEEeeeeeaaaaad :rolleyes:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
GK....Older Bose gear was decent, but the new stuff is way overpriced and just not that good IMO. Very shouty at high volumes, expensive and doesn't play well with others, as in not at all. I've always been just as annoyed with B+O for that reason. With all the snobby proprietary connectors.

FB... wow...that's a whole lot of great stuff. All my stuff is going on 20+ years old and so far, beyond having to replace some drivers after an enthusiastic drunk (not me this time) raised the volume beyond the sane limit, and before I had decent amps, I'm still enjoying top-notch sound. Old stuff is just as good as new stuff. I'm probably going to be having to replace some caps soon in the preamp, but so far all is well.

I'm always on the lookout for good used equipment. The last time I got any new stuff was back in 1995 when I bought the DefTech speakers. They still sound like 4 grand worth of speakers. In fact, I would be surprised if one could spend the same these days and get any better.

What has gotten light years better is cheap equipment. I bought a pair of very cheap (in relative terms) Pioneer speakers that sound absolutely amazing for the price. I can build a home theater today for $1000 with sound quality that would surpass a system costing 10 or more times that 20 years ago. Cheap HT receivers have spectacular performance these days.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
I need to get something over here....i left my nice Pioneer rreceiver from early 1990s in chicago and son sold it for me....have some Bose AM2 for surround channels, but no other equipment now

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Whatever you get, don't buy new. The audiophile (audiophool) world is full of fantastic equipment that "isn't cool" anymore. Especially turntables. And if you have a soldering iron and know how to use it, the world is your oyster.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
All my stuff is going on 20+ years old and so far, beyond having to replace some drivers after an enthusiastic drunk (not me this time) raised the volume beyond the sane limit,

I heard that happen once. From about 1.5 km away :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It was quite a large boom yes. A $1600 noise. Luckily the culprit owned up and paid for the repairs.

I don't know the cost of that particular noise, but we could hear the swearing too. <music> *POP!* "<EXPLETIVES!>"

I just checked a map, it may be 1.5 km if you drive it but only something like half a km as the crow flies.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns