• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Contaminated water in home made airlock?

Barrel Char Wood Products

IMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 16, 2008
I recently put together my first batch of mead in my basement. I put the mead in a gallon jug with a blow off tube airlock leading to a container of water. Now unfortunately about three days into fermentation I left for a vacation which lasted about two and a half weeks - and totally forgot about the mead.

I came back and decided to change the water in the airlock container. It was a bit cloudy, and I also noticed that the mead had bubbled a bit into the water, through the hose. It got really weird when I stirred the water a bit. It looks as if some sort of amoeba slime or something was living right outside the hose pumping out CO2. :icon_puke_r:

The mead is still fermenting and looks fine, but the enormous booger-monster living in the container of water kinda scared me. Is it likely that this totally hosed my mead, and are these kinds of airlocks feasible for something that has to ferment a long time?

Maybe I should put something in the water to keep it sanitary?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Welcome to the forums IMead!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if your mead still looks, smells, and tastes okay. If you use a blow-off tube, the grungy stuff that gets blown off can provide a home for bacteria and mold to grow, but the positive pressure from the active fermentation keeps it from coming up and into your batch. Still, it would be a good idea to take the tube off and clean/sanitize it before reattaching. You can use sanitizer in the container that you run the blow-off tube to, but I don't bother with it. I just change the water every so often when it starts to look nasty.

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Yeah you can use them for long duration. The only draw back is the way everything evaporates out of the device. You have to keep changing the water or adding some vodka to it while bulk aging. I would suggest investing into a S-bubbler or other type of commercial airlock. Just my .02
:cheers:

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Just to extend. I made a chocolate mead, (recipe here: http://www.ladybridget.com/m/chocmead.html) and racked it to secondary and let it sit on the lees. I then became very busy and never really looked at the mead at all. When I happened to look, the water in the airlock was low (still a seal though) and a greenish black slimy mold was in the airlock. I quickly changed the airlock with new one, and gave the mead a quick sniff. It smelt like regular old mead. So I am thinking, when I get a chance, rack, watch and hope it's okay?

Should it be okay? Or do I have 5 gallons of mead on the trash express?

Thanks,
Evan

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
You're probably fine, I'd keep a nose/eye on it and if you get worried dose it with sulphites, but I've had mold grow in my airlocks before and been ok.

I'd wait until someone more experienced than me backs that statement up though before considering it good advice!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've had a couple airlocks over the years go fuzzy, slimy and otherwise icky... but as long as the mead didn't backwash into the airlock and then suck some back out (ie, overfull carboy and a major temperature change), it's not a problem... I put sulphite solution in my airlocks but they still sometimes go icky or collect fruit flies.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I've been putting cheap vodka in the airlock when I plan on leaving it there for awhile. It does evaporate a lot faster than water, but if a little sucks back it's 40% abv and probably rather clean. I'm considering coating the vodka with mineral oil to slow down the vapor loss, but haven't tried it yet. Is mineral oil soluble in alcohol? Perhaps we'll find out...

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks for the comments! It's always nice to have reassurance. I'll keep an eye on it, and post if anything but the usual occurs.

Thanks,
youngmeadman

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns