• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help Gonzo

Barrel Char Wood Products

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Standard bottle caps work on crown top beer bottles (not twist off bottles) and american style champagne bottles (not european champagne bottles). Regular wine bottles will not take bottle caps nor are they meant to hold carbonation so they are a no no if a sparkling mead is desired.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Oskaar,

Someone else posted an answer on the old boards and so I did not pursue it. Unfortunately I do not live in the same kingdom and do not know their rules. Check out the Mead in the SCA threads on the old board...

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have modified my previous comments in this thread and would ask all of you to go back and reread my comments on the Ancient Orange, Clove, and Cinnamon mead. Someone pointed out that I was very harsh with my original comments. I have been under tremendous stress at work and more than a bit stressed and hurried when I originally posted. Upon rereading the comments found them to be a bit harsh myself.

It was not my intention to slight JMat at all and so I apologize to him if I did. The recipe is probably the best one out there for a first timer.

Thanks,
Pewter

Gonzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2005
www.zedswetpaint.com
In regards to this recipe, would any yeast work instead of Fleishmann's?
For example 71B-1122?

Joe's Ancient Orange recipe

3 1/2 lbs Clover or your choice honey or blend (will finish sweet)
1 Large orange (later cut in eights or smaller rind and all)
1 small handful of raisins (25 if you count but more or less ok)
1 stick of cinnamon
1 whole clove ( or 2 if you like - these are potent critters)
optional (a pinch of nutmeg and allspice )( very small )
1 teaspoon of Fleishmann’s bread yeast ( now don't get holy on me--- after all this is an ancient mead and that's all we had back then)
Balance water to one gallon

Thanks,
gonzo

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Yes, stick with the recipe as Joe posted it. You can tripple it to make a 3 gallon batch which is what I've done.

My first batch of this is half gone and it only cleared just before New Years.

Very young it is a bit rough at the edges but very drinkable. It mellows very quickly, and I've noticed a marked improvement in the 4 weeks it's been bottled.

I hope that I have enough willpower to let one bottle age a full year.

This is probably one of if not the best first time beginner recipe.
Good luck and enjoy.

David

Gonzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2005
www.zedswetpaint.com
Thank you thank you thankyou,

I'm now wondering and have investigated a little. Need to confirm this thou.
I can get a plastic food grade "clean" bucket from a resturant, (none at Ace Hardware) granted it didn't have vinegar products in it. With a lid I can cut a hole in the top for the airlock and plug and I'll have my primary fermentation container?

thanks,
gonzo

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
If you can't order one from a home brew shop, or an online homebrew shop, then scald the bucket with boiling water. Scrub it good with a soft sponge and some dish soap, scald it again, and then let it sit overnight with some star san sanitzer in it before you use it to do your primary.

Still, I'd boost the coin and go on line to order a bucket designed for that purpose.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Kick some coin for the hydrometer too, it's a worthwhile investment.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gonzo,

While you can do it without a hydrometer, the Specific Gravity (SG) readings you take before you pitch the yeast are the single BIGGEST source of info in aiding the experts here to help you if should encounter problems along the way. So it will be well worth the investment in the long run...

Good luck,
Pewter

Gonzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2005
www.zedswetpaint.com
Re: Help Gonzo, man he's full of it

On with the questions,

Can I use a plastic bucket for Joe's recipe?
Can I use liquor bottles that have a removeable cork (T cork) in the end? If I can what special instructions do I have to follow.

I'm going to either have to use regular beer bottles or drink a lot of this American sparkleing wine. The restraunt doesn't sell 22oz beer or that wine with the screw top.
I'm in a small town, everyone drinks the 12 oz domestics.
What about capping some liqour bottles, are they too big?

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Re: Help Gonzo, man he's full of it

Gonzo said:
Can I use liquor bottles that have a removeable cork (T cork) in the end? If I can what special instructions do I have to follow.

I've read that you should use wax with these to insure a good seal.

Bottles are your personal preference as long as you are not going carbonated. Any bottle you want will do.

Don't ask to buy bottles from the resteraunts, ask them if you can have the empty ones they have discarded. For free. ;)

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
The T corks are usually used for fortified wines, where the higher alcohol content makes it more immune to oxidization.

I would only trust my mead to a six month to a year lifespan in those bottles, and with very little head-space.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
In short, if you don't know the complete history of the bucket, you can't tell. If you do know the history here are some pointers:

• White/Natural in color. Most dyes make the bucket 'non-foodgrade'.
  • Not recycled. Recycled buckets, even recycled food-grade buckets are not longer food grade.
  • Never contained anything but food. If it's been used for chemicals...fuhgeddaboutit.

See this link for some more info:

http://waltonfeed.com/self/upack/buckets.html

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
If you buy a bucket "new" from the home improvement store of your choice, flip it over and look at the center of the bucket. If the manufacture is Letica Bucket Co. or Rochester Bucket Co. then you are good to go with a white bucket. The Letica bucket in green is also food grade, but may have been exclusively available to pickle packers for McDonalds etc.

The bucket I use is a translucent bucket by Letica, and while I'm not 100% certain, I am confident enough to be using it.

I'll do some further digging with the Letica Bucket Co. to see what I can learn about the various colors and food grade.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns