• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Netherlands/Dutch Connection

Barrel Char Wood Products

supertruus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2015
Zwolle, NL
Hi all,

I did some research on the k2co3 to be used in a BOMM. And and think that http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/ontzuurder-kalinat-voor-jonge-druivenwijn-1000-gram.html can be used as it does not contain kalsium which would give the mead a chalky flavour according to Bray.

Regarding Fermaid E, reading through the list of ingredients, my idea would be to use wyeast nutrient as a substitute http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/wijnmaken/gistvoeding-starter/gistvoedingscomplex-wyeast-100-gram.html. Unfortunately out of stock at the moment, but once it is in stock, I shall order the stuff and brew my first batch of the worldfamous BOMM.

By the way, bottled my 2 liter batch of orange&lime mead yesterday. So only two bottles. I hope the picture pops up here somewhere.

The labels where printed on plain white paper (A4) from the 'Action', cut out, glued on the bottle with milk and sprayed with hair spray for a protective layer. As by the advice of Luc. http://wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2011/02/etiketten-plakken-met-melk-glue-your.html?m=1

Good night to y'all

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
@Supertruus:

Might I suggest two things?

-K2CO3: https://www.pit-pit.com/kaliumcarbonaat.html (also usable for cookies ;)).

-"Fermaid": http://www.vanderkooyjubbega.nl/catalogsearch/result/?q=vitaferm, the Wyeast misses a number of nutrients present in the Fermaid, like the hulls of dead yeast cells. I am staring at my first BOMM at the moment, it smells sour like beer, wondering if this is because I used the Wyeast or if I made another mistake.

If you would like to make the herbal ginger-variant, pit-pit also has heemstwortel/marshmallow root, for the Szechuan variant they also have the tellicherry peppers. If you need the red AND green Szechuan pepper for the herbal ginger or the Szechuan variants, try http://chilliesontheweb.co.uk/.

Last edited:

supertruus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2015
Zwolle, NL
Thanks griebel for your quick help and my children would like the cooky thing. Now I can 'brew' something for them as well.:D

supertruus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2015
Zwolle, NL
Hi Griebel,
As by your instructions :D I purchased at pit&pit and the vitaferm. Now some good honey and wyeast and off I go. Can't wait.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Labels, I use Avery shipping labels...can't remember the number, maybe J3188 or something like that. Never used potassium carbonate in cookies, but might be similar to sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda. Brother Adam, at first, eschewed using cream of tartar in meads to control pH, but then adopted it. Search for El Cheapo pH meter in the forums...about 12 euros from Amazon.de

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
If you ordered at Van der Kooy Jubbega and your order has not been shipped yet, you can also get the Wyeast 1388 from them. Perhaps they can still fit it in.

Last edited:

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Supertruus, did you make it to the honey market/festival? I was there, but was a bit disappointed that most of them had no interest in selling large quantities, just those little jars. There was only one or two that had interest in larger sales. I DID get some bee pollen, which I will use as nutrient again in some future batch.... 30 grams per liter is the standard.

supertruus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2015
Zwolle, NL
Hi Gntlknight1,

Thanks for asking. I was there too and regarding the honey, I left with the same feeling as you. However I found the mill and the stories the millers told very interesting. I love to watch people tell enthousiasticly about their hobbies/crafts (that is why Ilove to read this forum). So watching the miller pressing linseed oil and the beekeepers being proud on their honey made visiting this market worthwhile.

I end up driving back home via Emst and buying my honey at 'Werkbij'.

Regards !

BTW do pollen result in different taste of the mead?

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Pity we didn't meet while we were there I was there with my wife, Mr Rogers and his lady. I am glad I went, but, as I said, a bit disappointed.

Bee pollen does render a somewhat different taste when used as a nutrient So far, I have not really found a compelling reason to use it, but I have only done it once so far. My Tenth Blog here has a link to the study that established the 30 gram per liter target. http://www.gotmead.com/forum/entry.php/129-Tenth-Blog-Other-useful-technical-references

supertruus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2015
Zwolle, NL
If you have seen a large woman with a very, very colorful trench coat, that was me.

The pollen story is really interesting. Thank you for that. I have added that to my already long do list. Well at least that keeps me brewing (and tasting) for a long time.

supertruus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2015
Zwolle, NL
Today I made stoofpeertjes and the remains, the juice and a couple of pears, are now cooling and waiting (with some pecto) for the yeast starter. I made the stoofpeertjes not with suggar as usual, but I caramelized 450 grams of honey and boiled that with 1.5 kg stoofpeertjes and 2 cinnamon sticks and 0.5 liters of very sweet red currant raspberry wine for two hours. This tasted really great. Never had it with caramelized honey before. But after reading about brochets on this site I was curious of how it would taste. I thought, why not try it with stoofpeertjes. Turned out to be a very tastfull idea.

Well any way, I tossed the remains into a fermentation bucket. Caramelized another 450 grams of honey added some water and poured that into the bucket as well. Now I have about 2.5 liters of must with an SG 1.085. Aiming for 10% alcohol as I am not a big fan of high %.
Next week I will put stoofpeertjes on the menu again so I will have a total of 5 liters fermenting. Any ways it smells amazing. I hope it turns out as I hope it will.

Thanks GntlKnight1 for the initial idea of stoofpeertjes mead.

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
There is a new player in town, Flevohoning. A small apiary from Almere which sells honey and various other honeyrelated things. Their prices are all over the map, some cheaper and some way more pricey than their colleagues from De 3 Bijen or De Werkbij. They also sell some Honey Powerrrrrrfoods, blends with spices, propolis and various other foodstuffs.
They also sell the Ambrosia honey wines AND two kinds of their own produce. A "show mead" and a cyser (I asked, they chuck in slices of apple during fermentation). The show mead is made with lindehoning (Tilia/basswood/linden/lime tree) and unidentified herbs, the cyser with slices of apple, a unidentified fruit honey and unidentified herbs. They both are 13% and I bought the show mead for fl. 9,- at my local saturday market. It is sold as a "Batavierendrank" (The Batavians, Roman era).

The show mead is DEFINITLY a dessert mead, FG 1.36? (Hydrometer in the red, around 36). It has some particulates floating in the bottle. The spices are noticeable, can't identify them, the booze is less hot tasting then the Ambrosia.

icmh6f.jpg

Last edited:

Griebel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2015
Leiden, the Netherlands
http://www.flevohoning.nl

Be wary, since my tasting I have to keep swatting at foaming at the mouth toothfairies.

My source was a marketstall selling all kinds of luxury foodstuffs. Paté, Greek and Italian olive oil, marmalade, Spanish cured hams etcetera.

Apparently people were coming back for the meads. The salesman said the cyser was "less sweet and more refreshing".

If I can escape the toothfairies and feel bold I might buy the cyser in a few weeks.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
All that at a market stall in Almere? Sounds yummy !!! Although the butcher I use quit the Emmeloord market, and is now in Dronigen (sp?). Am doing some great ribs on new Pit Barrel Cooker. http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/videos/ Nice meads to go with it.... A Taste of Summer maybe, which is my mint/lime mead.

P.S. - The 2 year old Blackberry mead won out.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns