PDA

View Full Version : Bottling and storage

Keln
05-16-2006, 10:43 AM
I am currently making my first mead (JAO) and I was wondering what exactly the preferred methods of bottling are. What I mean specifically is cork types and bottle types. I am guessing that clear bottles are ok with mead? Is mead sensitive to light? As far as corks, are push-in (by hand) corks ok, or should I invest in "real" corks and a corker. Or are those synthetic corks better? Boil or do not boil corks first? And finally, how long does mead keep for? Is it like most wines that can pretty much (if stored correctly) sit on the shelf for a long long time? Or does it have a definite lifetime of a few years? Is it better stored in a refrigerator or like wine?

Thanks in advance.

WRATHWILDE
05-16-2006, 11:19 AM
I am currently making my first mead (JAO) and I was wondering what exactly the preferred methods of bottling are.

It all comes down to personal preference... some are cork purists others synthetic, others use champagne or beer bottles sealed with bottle caps, some use swing top Grolsch bottles, and others screw top wine bottles. Some mix and match. Corked Wine bottles for gifts, capped beer or swing top grolsch bottles for personal consumption. Personally I use a mixture. Capped Champagne for personal, screw cap wine bottles for my Dad, Cork for SCA competition, screw cap 1 gallon jugs for events where quantities will be consumed.

I am guessing that clear bottles are ok with mead? Is mead sensitive to light?

Mead is not as light sensitive as beer or wine, but I would still go for the green or amber bottles if you are planning on extended aging.

As far as corks, are push-in (by hand) corks ok, or should I invest in "real" corks and a corker. Or are those synthetic corks better? Boil or do not boil corks first?

It's always better to have the proper equipment, and follow the mfg's recommendations on cork preparation. Some corks are coated and boiling will ruin the finish.

And finally, how long does mead keep for? Is it like most wines that can pretty much (if stored correctly) sit on the shelf for a long long time? Or does it have a definite lifetime of a few years? Is it better stored in a refrigerator or like wine?
If its prepared and stored correctly it should keep as long as most wines.

As far as equipment for corking I'd suggest either the Italian Table Top Corker or Italian Floor Corker available here. (http://morewinemaking.com/browse.html?category_id=1309&keyword=&x=1&y=1)

As for bottle cappers I would highly suggest the bench standard available here. (http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15676)

Hope that helps,
Wrathwilde

Keln
05-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I almost forgot another important question. This AO mead, being that it contains floating oranges, will probably have some floating pulp and whatnot even when it is cleared. Now, I have a racking cane for my wine-making, but I don't think that will work so well since that operates on the principle that it keeps the end of the siphoning tube up off of the sediment lining the bottom of a wine batch.

So, Joe's recipe mentions using a cloth filter. Well, I was wondering what kind of cloth filter? Just any old peice of cloth? Boiled? Treated with alcohol? I know these seem like petty questions, but from making wine before, I know little things can cause big problems.

Oskaar
05-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Get a fine grain bag, or a patch of sanitized cloth from a bedsheet (like 300 thread count or more) and sanitize that and a piece of stainless steel wire or some nylong string to tie it on your racking cane.

Don't wrap it tightly around the end however, leave plenty of room for it to move around. Reason being is the tighter the cloth is around the end of the racking cane, the easier it will get covered with floaties and not allow for a good siphon.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

JephSullivan
09-06-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm ready to bottle my very first mead, (JAO of course ;) ) and I bought some corks and a corker. However, I got loose corks out of a big bag at the brew shop, so they didn't come with instructions. I was wondering: if you don't boil the corks, what is the best way to sanitize them? I've read a lot of conflicting info about this. Some say boil them, others say sulfite them, others say steam them, others say buy "good quality" ones and don't sanitize them. Is there a consensus here at GotMead? Thanks!

theshadowhammer
09-08-2006, 11:49 PM
after you have it bottled you leave it up right for 2 or 3 days then do you store it on its side?

GrantLee63
09-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Shadow ... you are correct. Leave the bottles upright for a few days and then store them long-term on their sides.

Jeph - What size bottles are you using? 750 ml bottles use a #9 cork and I believe the 375 ml bottles use a #8 size cork. Make sure to use the correct size cork!

Regarding the boiling, sanitizing question, you are correct again - a lot of people use a lot of different approaches. Me? I take the corks dry - right out of the bag - and use my Italian floor corker to insert them into the bottles. I have yet to have any problems using this method so it works for me.

- GL63

Cargirl
09-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Thanks for asking all these questions. These are all questions I had too. :cheers:

JephSullivan
09-11-2006, 06:56 AM
I am using 750 mL bottles, and I got the corks that the guy at the brew shop told me to get for them. I'll check and make sure they're #9! I think I'll follow your lead and put the corks in without sanitizing them. Thanks for the advice GrantLee!

GrantLee63
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
No problem Jeph ... Good luck and have fun with this stuff, and by the way ....

Welcome to the forums! :cheers: