PDA

View Full Version : 2nd true mead

jallan6977
05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
My second mead batch contains 1lb raisins, 1lb honey, and one tbsp. cinnamon. I started it on 4/28/06 @ 1.052sg. It is now @ 1.030. My questions are. Is it time to bottle? What is the percent of alcohol? I can't seem to figure the alcohol content correctly.

Oskaar
05-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Dude,

You sure about those numbers? That starting SG would put you at abut 7% ABV, and your current gravity would indicate you've produced about 3-4% ABV at this point.

Would you post your exact recipe please? What was the volume, etc.

That initial gravity is awfully low for a mead, more like a cider or a beer SG.

Cheers,

Oskaar

jallan6977
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Dude,

You sure about those numbers? That starting SG would put you at abut 7% ABV, and your current gravity would indicate you've produced about 3-4% ABV at this point.

Would you post your exact recipe please? What was the volume, etc.

That initial gravity is awfully low for a mead, more like a cider or a beer SG.

Cheers,

Oskaar

As I said, one pound honey, supermarket variety, one pound raisins, same source, one tbsp cinamon, same source. The balence of one gallon was well water. Hmm, the well does have a faint hint of sulphur I never notice anymore. Maybe that explains it. See why I am confused by my readings?
I think for my next batch, I will use the recipe same ratios for 5 gallons and leave the water sit or maybe boil it to get the sulphur out. There is also the minerals, like iron in the water.