PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on the flea market

Thurisaz
05-21-2006, 04:52 AM
Hey,

ever felt driven all of a sudden to do something you don't normally do?

One hint from me: Unless it's likely that you'll hurt someone if you give in, do it! ;D

This morning, suddenly I thought "I just have to take a stroll across the flea market!". No idea why. After all, I'm not into that whole flea market business at all...

...so I went out, walked a minute and entered the market area stretching all across downtown in my city (well, it's a small city... not that much ground to cover). I looked around for some five minutes maybe, and found...

...see for yourself...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/germanicheathen/TwoCarboys.jpg

Left one is labeled 20 liters, right one I guesstimate to swallow 30 liters. All for EUR 4.00 - although I have to clean them first, that's why they currently stand in my bathtub, and I'm not sure what that stuff stuck to the inside of the large one is, so maybe I won't get that one clean. But what the heck... ::)

Now please join me in saying thanks to Odin Allfather as this just must have been a hint from him personally! 8)

Oskaar
05-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Congratulations.

I was lucky enough to find a garage sale where a guy had 19 of the 6.5 gallon carboys. He wanted $8 US for all of them. I paid it happily, then he said that he had a neighbor that wanted to get rid of hers as well. He called her and gave me her address. When I asked her how much she wanted for 19 of them she said "nothing, just get them out of my yard."

I did so as quickly as I could before she changed her mind! LOL

Anyhow, always keep your eyes open for a deal!!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Maelduin
05-21-2006, 04:13 PM
nice score. carboys virtually for free leaves $$$ to put honey in them!

Michael

Thurisaz
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh well, I guess it was too good to be true. The larger carboy shattered in my bathtub during cleaning. I guess it had some microfractures or something already.
At least I still have the smaller one...

...and if things continue down the same road for some time I need to register as professional meadmaker with German authorities ;D

(At work today, I was cursing a bit after talking to a particularly ignorant user... my supervisor heard it and with a merry grin said to me "Don't bitch and moan, make more mead, dammit!" (after having tasted from my last batch some time ago...)

My company's summer festival isn't too far away - if our CEOs pay for the honey et cetera, I'll gladly do my best. Maybe this raises some interesting options when I enter negotiations about my next raise too... >:D

Maelduin
05-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Watch out when they start listing your mead as as part of the benefits package.

yabodie
05-23-2006, 02:35 PM
If they do that, where can I apply!!!

Thurisaz
05-25-2006, 04:35 AM
If you are willing to move to Germany just to join a company offering my mead as benefit, feel free to contact me >:D

(Oh, and you should have some skill in PC support of course ;) )

Edit: But then, we do try to gain a foothold outside of Germany as far as I know. Who knows - maybe we'll try to set up a project in the US soon? ::)

Maelduin
05-25-2006, 07:43 AM
hmm, mead in the benefits package, live in Germany, access to all those trappist ales I cant get here in the US, live in Germany, WGT festival every year, live in Germany, my favorite bands all tour there, live in Germany...

Umm, where do I sign?

NeadMead
06-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Hmmmm. Tempting, but I will have to respectfully decline a job there. They might get mad at me and use me in your mead. Nice job on your finds, Thurisaz and Oskaar. I have never seen any home brewing supplies at any flea market I have been to. :'( I have seen some nice knives and swords though. >:D