PDA

View Full Version : Sanitizing Oak Before Using

GrantLee63
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
I assume one needs to sanitize any oak they may be putting into their meads ... correct? Do I just need to soak it in a bleach / water solution, or is there another preferred method?

I want to put some into a dry Tri-Berry ( Blueberries, Raspberries, Marionberries ) melomel I have bulk aging.

Thanks in advance .....

CosmicCharlie
05-23-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm just starting to use oak myself so I'm no pro, but here's my thoughts: First time I boiled them, but I'm afraid that drives off a lot of desirable properties. The second time I used them I just rinsed them with cool water to get off any dust. I add them in the secondary or tertiary, so I figure they aren't going to introduce anything that can grow in the nearly fermented mead.

I'm interested in other opinions though!

WRATHWILDE
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
If you're worried about spoilage organisms you could always pop them in the stove at 200 (f) for five to ten minutes. Might be wise if the bag has been opened previously and you're introducing them at the beginning of the ferment.

Here's Stavin's recommendations -

Cubes are sealed in 8 oz (227 g) poly-metal bags to retain aromatic compounds and protect the Cubes from contamination. Simply open the bag and add the pristine Cubes directly to the wine.

Wrathwilde