• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help With My Next Batch .... Please !

Barrel Char Wood Products

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
OK .... so I picked up TWO 4 Liter bottles of Amish-Made 'Grade B' Pure Maple Syrup from Ontario yesterday and want to make a Maple Mead. After perusing the forums, I came up with a recipe I think will work out and want to try:

4 Liters Maple Syrup
12 Pounds Clover Honey
3 Teaspoons Acid Blend
4 Teaspoons Fermaid
Water to 6 gallons
Either D-47 or KI-V1116

I'll use the other bottle later - depending on the results of this first batch. ;D

I would like this to finish semi-sweet and (hopefully) have a decent maple flavor. Does this recipe look OK? Of the two yeasts, which one would be more suitable for what I want? Or perhaps I need a totally different yeast?

Your help - as always - is greatly appreciated !

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
GrantLee63,

The best way to get the maple flavor is to add 1/2 the maple syrup up front and 1/2 towards the end of fermentation with D47. This will ensure that most of the unfermented sugars come from the maple syrup. I've done batches both ways, all up front and staggered... the difference in taste is extreme. Staggered is the way to go. K1V will likely take the batch to dry, D47 will leave you residual sugars. I've had very good results with Lalvin's D254, available here, and it would be perfect for the recipe as stated. Same as method as stated for D47. D254 is also good for lees aging.

Here's what I'd do.

Mix 1/2 tsp Goferm in 120 ml of distilled water @ 110(f).
Rehydrate 2 packs of D254 when temp drops to 104(f).
Mix honey and 1/2 of the maple syrup with 4 gallons water.
Add 2 tsp Fermaid K and 1 tsp DAP at the end of the Yeast lag phase.
Stir violently to aerate twice a day (1st three days only) if you don't have a Oxygen or air pump system.
A primary bucket is preferred during the first three days, for stirring and blow off concerns.
At the end of the third day pour the must (using a sanitized funnel) into a 6 or 6.5 gallon glass carboy.
Add 1 1/2 tsp fermaid K at the 1/3rd sugar break
Keep in a cool place during fermentation, D254 can run hot.
When your airlock drops to 1 blip every 15 seconds give your batch a good stir to degas before adding the rest of the maple syrup. Then stir well again after adding maple syrup, being careful not to stir violently or you risk aerating your batch. Your airlock activity should pick up considerably within 6 hours.
When your airlock drops again to 1 blip every 15 seconds rack off into your secondary carboy. Stir weekly. When your fermentation stops completely (stable hydrometer readings) rack again and bulk age as long as you can stand. I consider 6 months a minimum.

Hope that helps.

Wrathwilde

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Awesome Wrathwilde - Thanks!

Approximately what time-frame would constitute towards the end of fermentation? I'll use D-47 (as I have some in 'stock' in my refridgerator) with this batch, and if all turns out well - which I'm sure it will - try the next batch with the other 4 liter bottle of maple syrup I have using D254.

Thanks Again !

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns