• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Diet Coke and Mentos Gone Horribly Wrong!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
How bizarre...I found this same video just last night while surfing on my own! Considering that there's probably about 100,000 Mentos/Diet Coke videos on the Internet these days, go figure the chances! (Alright, 100,000 to 1, but there's probably a lot of modifiers in there some where).

Has anyone made a Mentos/Diet Coke rocket yet? Seems to me to be a natural progression of this line of, uh, research.

-David

EDITED: Okay a quick search shows a lot of people who've tossed in the candies and thrown the bottle on the ground, resulting in some rocket-like effects, but I'm wondering if any have made a gantry structure and fired it off in the air -- for no particular reason, of course. I've got time on my hands, understand.

NeadMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2006
LOL I like that. That was real funny and interesting. I say we should not do that with a sparkling mead. that would be a waste good mead. :eek:

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Watched an episode of 'Mythbusters' this afternoon that showed this effect and why it happens. They went threw the various components of diet coke and found it was a mix of caffeine, the sweetener 'Aspartame" and the preservatives in the soda that make the fountain go so high. Just plain carbonated soda water will not do it. The coated Mentos also will not have the same affect as the plain.

Has anyone made a Mentos/Diet Coke rocket yet? Seems to me to be a natural progression of this line of, uh, research.

-David

EDITED: Okay a quick search shows a lot of people who've tossed in the candies and thrown the bottle on the ground, resulting in some rocket-like effects, but I'm wondering if any have made a gantry structure and fired it off in the air -- for no particular reason, of course. I've got time on my hands, understand.

They tried several attempts at a rocket, and while the geyser height is impressive it doesn't have enough thrust to lift the weight of the soda still in the bottle. They tried single bottle and multiple bottles and had the same results.

Using a special made nozzle to constrict the flow of soda they made a single geyser go up to 34+ feet!

Then they decided to try to make the next Internet phenomenon. Some of the things they came up with are cool as hell! Also deadly! They did one by bubbling methane gas threw soapy water. The gas is lighter than air so it holds itself up and forms a tall tower of bubbles. That can be ignited!

If you can catch this episode in rerun it's worth the watch.

Tarot.

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
Tarot, I am so glad you saw the episode, too!!! I loved it when Jaime turned into a "gushing geezer" (diet coke and mentos in his mouth, and then he spewed it out like a gargoyle). I haven't really ever felt the urge to do any of the things on the show (at least the stuff I haven't already done!! *grins*), but I am forcing myself NOT to buy mentos and diet coke and turn myself into scout-fountain! :p

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Well that is the good part about this one. You can! At the end of it they said it was harmless even for supervised kids to try. My only thought is about the first person who found this out. They must have been eating mentos and took a sip of diet coke. I just hope they weren't driving! :eek: Lol.
Tarot.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns