• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Apple off taste

Barrel Char Wood Products

melomelman

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 10, 2005
I tried a small cup of my mead Im making (honey/vanilla/clove)
now I think it tasts pretty good not being done just the right amount of all the flavors combined...however I had my roommate try some he said it hints on apple cyder to him..

Im curious as to what can cause an appleness taste to normal honey mead..can you fix it..and if so how?

After tasting it again it does have a little bit of a tartness to it...but I never added any acids to the batch at all...i mean its hardly detecable BUT if its a problem I want to nip it in the but asap ...didnt spend 80 bucks on supplies for a cyser...

lostnbronx

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 8, 2004
M-Man,

It's tough to say what this could be without actually tasting it, but the tartness could represent the presence of acetaldehydes, which are often characterized as being like green apple in flavor. Acetaldehydes are a natural byproduct of fermentation to some extent, and are produced in greater amounts by certain yeasts over others, but they are mostly a sign of yeast stress during fermentation. If not egregious, the flavor can age out, actually leaving a bit of complexity behind, but this can take a bit of time, and you are lucky if it ends this way.

Can you post up your exact recipe, including any gravity readings you took, temps during fermentation, and your methodology? This will help us in trying to pinpoint a cause and prescribe a fix if possible.

-David

melomelman

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 10, 2005
I used this.
Lavin D47 yeast.
around 12-13 pounds star thistle honey.
Pure Vanilla extract(not measured..I did it to taste)
about a palms worth of cloves(taken out when I pitched the yeast)
Distilled water
Yeast neutrient.

As for a gravity readings...I dont have one...thing is I have never really used them so...yeah

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Can you go into a bit more detail on the "apple" character you are detecting?

Is it sharp, aromatic, reminiscent of apple skin?

Or, is it smooth and fragrant like baked or stewed apples, or like apple sauce? They are two distinctly different aromas and mean two different things. Apple aromas can be deceiving so it's a good thing to step back a couple of times and really try to dial in what you're smelling.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
A green apple taste is sometimes produced during fermentation. It is a natural result and is not specifically a sign of problems. And will generally age out...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey MM,

As mentioned below, please give us some more detail on the apple character you're talking about. There are different reasons for different apple aromas (green, cidery, baked) each meaning something different.

Cheers,

Oskaar

melomelman

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 10, 2005
Sorry been a bit onthe busy side..alrighty I have a little glass of it right here with me...first the smell,nose, whatever anybody wants to call it.

Nothing is very noticable with the smell..
Now the taste.

Fizzy, a little bit of a apple middle and after taste..its hard to discribe..umm...Its not a sharp apple taste like if you were to buy an apple soda or a sucker, or bite into a green apple...its a little acidic..not much though it may be the bubbles on my tounge confusing me though(its that minscule)

I can however still taste the honey and vanilla(its goten a little stronger) and a hint of clove...I mean this isnt bothering me..but if I can stop it even better..I also dont want it to get out of hand.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Time and patience.

Works most of the time. Sounds like things are fine to me, just let it sit for a while and allow it to develop. If one of the apple flavors begins to emerge aggressively then there might be a problem, but for now just be patient and let 'er go.

Cheers,

Oskaar

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
melomelman said:
I used this.
Lavin D47 yeast.
around 12-13 pounds star thistle honey.
Pure Vanilla extract(not measured..I did it to taste)
about a palms worth of cloves(taken out when I pitched the yeast)
Distilled water
Yeast neutrient.

As for a gravity readings...I dont have one...thing is I have never really used them so...yeah

I'd avoid the distilled water next time. Yeast needs small amounts of many minerals that are present in tap or spring water; their absence could stress the yeast just enough to account for the acetaldehyde you are describing.

Ken

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns