PDA

View Full Version : Craft Brews...

yabodie
06-15-2006, 07:40 AM
There was some talk about Midas Touch a few days back and I thought this press release would be of interest to this crew. Seems like Dogfish Head has a new ancient brew based on finds from Northern China as well as some other interesting brews...

Summer Beer Release Schedule
The Dogfish Head Summer 2006 selection is coming!

In addition to our great year-round beers and our summer seasonal Aprihop, we have some great beers to coming out this summer... including a first-ever bottling - hold on to your bottle openers!

First out of the gates is our Liquor De Malt. We're pretty sure this beer is world's only bottle-conditioned Malt Liquor! We brew it with red, white and blue gourmet corns (for Independence Day, of course!). Each 40-ounce bottle comes with a Dogfish Head brown paper bag. This beer will be in VERY LIMITED release (only a few hundred cases!) and should be in stores before July 4th.

For August, keep your eyes peeled for Chateau Jiahu. Like our Midas Touch, this beer is based on an archeological finds. The Chateau Jiahu originated with 9,000 year-old pottery jars found in the Neolithic village of Jiahu, Henan province, Northern China. The crockery revealed a mixed fermented beverage of rice, honey and fruit was being produced that long ago - right around the same time that barley beer and grape wine were Bimini to be made in the Middle East! We took the known ancient ingredients - added some 2006 Dogfish Head brewing sense (that might be an oxymoron), and some great label art by our friend Tara McPherson (she did the Fort labels too). The Chateau Jiahu will be released from the brewery mid-late August and should be in stores by the end of the month or the beginning of September (depends on where you are).

We've had lots of interest in our other ancient-based beer Midas Touch (thank you History Channel!). We do have two batches of the Midas hitting stores this summer, since it's such a great summer beer! The first round will be leaving the brewery beginning next week, then there will be another batch ready to go at the end of July. Pick some up and find out why Michael Jackson said of the Midas Touch, "A wonderfully complex beer, a wonderfully delicate beer, a dangerous thing, a great drink to welcome people to a party."

Finally, the highly-anticipated next batch of 120 Minute IPA will be ready to leave the Milton, DE brewery at the beginning of September! You'll probably start finding the 120 in stores mid-late September.

Oskaar
06-15-2006, 07:50 AM
The 120 minute IPA is great, but, I'll take the 90 minute any day!

Cheers,

Oskaar

yabodie
06-15-2006, 08:07 AM
I would agree the 90 minute is a nice brew. If you can give the Imort ale a swig. Very nice as well.

JAG
06-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Now how the heck did I miss a show on the History channel about Dogfish Head?!?
I wonder if we'll get any Chateau Jiahu around here...I'm guessing not! Sounds interesting though. I wonder what the fruit is.

JAG
06-15-2006, 09:34 AM
I went and looked, this is what their website says:

In keeping with historic evidence, Dogfish brewers used pre-gelatinized rice flakes, Wildflower honey, Muscat grapes, barley malt, hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers. The rice and barley malt were added together to make the mash for starch conversion and degredation. The resulting sweet wort was then run into the kettle. The honey, grapes, Hawthorn fruit, and Chrysanthemum flowers were then added. The entire mixture was boiled for 45 minutes, then cooled. The resulting sweet liquid was pitched with a fresh culture of Sake yeast and allowed to ferment a month before the transfer into a chilled secondary tank.

Dan McFeeley
06-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Now how the heck did I miss a show on the History channel about Dogfish Head?!?
I wonder if we'll get any Chateau Jiahu around here...I'm guessing not! Sounds interesting though. I wonder what the fruit is.

I don't think the fruit was positively identified. It was speculated that it was either grape and/or hawthorne fruit, due to the presence of tartaric acid residues in the analysis and guessing from available resources at that time.

You can find the full report of the Jiahu analysis here:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/0407921102v1