• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Spices

Barrel Char Wood Products

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
When you add spices to the mead in primary do the spices give off a stronger or weaker flavor then when added in secondary? I have a gallon of mead in secondary "Tarot's tea" that while at three months is still very young, I would think that some of the spices should be showing threw in the taste. And their not.
Do the various flavor blend to the point that they are individually not recognizable? The most enjoyable and delicious mead I have ever tasted came from a sca wood worker, chest maker named Liam. The spices in the bottle he gave my wife and I for our wedding were there waving banners going I'm cinnamon, I'm cloves, I'm nutmeg. Have been thinking of going ahead and adding in nearly the same amount I did the first time and leave it on there to age till I try to clarify the mead around December.
O'yea I have a piece of oak in the batch as well will it give the spices an off taste adding then in at the same time? Or would the spices alter the oak taste any?
I tend to like sweet spiced meads so this is something I need to get a handle on now in the beginning. I appreciate any help I can get, cause lord help me if I get frustrated and start experimenting! There will be know telling just what will come out of the kitchen at that point. :eek:
thanks,
Tarot

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Found the answer in the Newbee Guide to Making Mead -Chapter 3 Additional Ingredients.
Will add back in the spices and see how it tastes at the end of july when I fish out the oak spiral.
Tarot.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns