PDA

View Full Version : Yeast Nutrient/Energizer question

PhxCliff
06-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Which yeast nutrient and/or energizer is preferred for traditional/show Mead? Also, when using a snap-pack that already has yeast nutient, should I adjust down the amount of additional nutrient added to the must?

Lastly, what is the difference between nutient and energizer?

Thanks for the help.

Oskaar
06-27-2006, 02:54 AM
Welcome to the boards PHX,

Bottom line is that yeast nutrients are a matter of choice. I believe that one of the best ways to determine which yeast nutrient to use with a certain yeast is to choose the nutrient recommended for the yeast by the yeast manufacturer.

Yeast nutrient and energizer can vary widely, but generally consist of varying levels of DAP, yeast hulls and various sets of vitamins, minerals and other necessary ingredients for a healthy fermentation.

I'm not sure what you mean by "snap" pack, are you by chance referring to "smack" pack?? If so then the nutrient included in the pack is for rehydration and to ensure a strong and healthy set of yeast that are ready to rip into the fermentable sugars in the must you've prepared. When using a re-hydration nutrient you can generally skip the nutrient addition to the must and hit it with DAP at the end of the lag phase, and then with Fermaid-K at the 1/3 sugar break.

If you're asking this question in relation to a specific recipe please post it here in it's exact format. Please don't misconstrue my comments as a catchall for every recipe as some people tend to do. Each mead is different, and needs to be managed differently, so don't look at a set of simple general recommendations and then expect that they apply to all of the mead you'll ever make. Sounds pretty rudimentary, but there are plenty of examples of people who've not followed that advice.

Cheers,

Oskaar