• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

AHS Sweet Mead In Primary... White Clouds = infected?

Barrel Char Wood Products

EFaden

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 17, 2006
As my first mead attempt I got one of the AHS Sweet Mead Kits. I went through all of the steps yesterday and used a 2 pint starter for the White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast. Everything went into the primary and about 12 hours later I had no fermentation (which I was expecting to take a while, so not worried), but I did have a lot of white cloud things floating around in the must (this worried me). I tried to get a picture, but it didn't come out. The best way to describe it is as clumps of lightish stuff floating around (pretty big clumps too).. is this normal? if not what do I do about it?

-Eric

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Exact recipe please. It's hard to guess what's going on without some additional information. Also please let us know how you mixed the must, at what temperature you pitched the yeast, etc. These things all factor into the fermentation dynamics.

Cheers,

Oskaar

EFaden

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 17, 2006
It actually cleared, but I am not sure what kind of honey it was. I heated water to 180F and dissolved the honey. Kept the must at 180F for 15 minutes then chilled in the sink w/ ice until about 80F. Transfered it to the primary and topped off with water to reach starting gravity of around 1.1. Pitched yeast at around 80F.

-Eric

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns