• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Why do many mead recipes make 5 gals?

Barrel Char Wood Products

causeofhim

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2006
When I find mead recipes they most are for making 5 gals of mead. Even the mead kits you can buy are for 5gals. Why is this? Most wine making carboys are 3 or 6 gals. Wouldn't it make more sinse to make the recipes for this amount?

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
CoH,

I'd have to disagree with "most" carboys being 3 or 6 gallon. The most common glass carboy in use is, no doubt, the standard 5 gallon bottles that were used for decades as Water cooler bottles in homes and offices... in those prehistoric times before every body had their own water filtration systems.

Wrathwilde

causeofhim

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 11, 2006
My statement was that "Most wine making carboys are 3 or 6 gals". I was referring to the carboys that are sold for winemaking not the retro water jugs that you can use for wine making.

SteveT

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 1, 2004
causeofhim said:
My statement was that "Most wine making carboys are 3 or 6 gals". I was referring to the carboys that are sold for winemaking not the retro water jugs that you can use for wine making.

I think if you read the bee's lees recipes, and others on the 'net many of the recipes are 5 gallon batches. I made beer years before I started mead making, and had 6.5 and 6 gallon carboys. It's a simple matter to convert measurements to scale to whatever size you have on hand.

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Common size carboys sold are; 3, 5, 6 & 6 1/2 gallon (2.8 gallon seem to have faded away over the last couple years).

Many of the recipes you've seen may date to a time when the 5 gallon water bottle was the most common fermentation vessel.

Any recipe of mine is for 3 or 6 gallons.

Dmntd

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I usually start my recipes as a six gallon batch, but then rack down to a five gallon yield and keep any extra as thieving material.

It's been my experience that five gallon vessels are easier to find 2nd hand than the other sizes, but I do have between 50-60 carboys that are 6.5 or 5 gallon.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
The primary & bottling bucks given me by the bastard... I mean my friend who got me started making mead are both 5 gallons.

Any more 6.5 - 7.9 primary buckets are the norm, and I've started to see more 10 & 20 gallon bucks around.

Dmntd

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Dmntd said:
Many of the recipes you've seen may date to a time when the 5 gallon water bottle was the most common fermentation vessel.

Thanks Dmntd, this was exactly the point I was trying to get across, the fact that there are still 5 gallon glass carboys floating around from the 1920s means that there are probably a much higher % of 5 gallon carboys being used today than any other size, in fact I'd be willing to bet that the # of 5 gallon carboys in existence out numbers all of the 2.8, 3, 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys combined. It is with this in mind that I'd say the 5 gallon carboys are probably still the most common carboy being used for brewing. As Oskaar pointed out you can easily find 5 gallon carboys 2nd hand. Finding 3, 6 and 6.5 gallon carboys 2nd hand are a rarity, at least in this area.
Like Oskaar, I generally start larger... in my case 6.5 to 6 to 5 gallon.

As far as mead makers go they are a cheap lot, at least some of the newbees are, I've seen them balk at buying a $7.00 hydrometer for #$%* sake... asking how they can make there own. ::) Others seem to go on scavenging hunts unwilling to spend any $. So an old restaurant pickle bucket becomes the primary and a "retro" water jug becomes the secondary. and a donated bucket of honey that's been sitting in a garage for a decade becomes the honey source. You may think I'm exaggerating, but all of these topics have come up on the boards, albeit not on the same thread. I've found that a number of members here prefer to work on the cheap... so 2nd hand 5 gallon water bottles are a popular choice, some people are willing to give them away just to get rid of them, and you can't beat free 5 gallon carboys.

Wrathwilde

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Exactly Wrathwilde,

I have 6 primary buckets; 3 ~ 1 gallon, 2 ~ 5 gallon and one 20 gallon.

Most of the mead I make, starts off as 5 gallon batch with the gravity for a 6 gallon batch. Depending on how things go I'll add water for 6 gallons once it goes into secondary or if it taste real good as is, it stays a 5 gallon batch.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 14.5 gallon demi-john in the next month or so, I'd like to start making 15 gallon at a time of the tried and true recipes I have.

At least they'll break down evenly for 5 gallon runs.

Dmntd

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Oskaar said:
It's been my experience that five gallon vessels are easier to find 2nd hand than the other sizes, but I do have between 50-60 carboys that are 6.5 or 5 gallon.

Fifty to sixty carboys!? Just how big is the Meadworks? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope you have a good ventilation system -- I can just imagine the CO2 problem with all of them going at once. :eek: ;D

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Dan McFeeley said:
Hope you have a good ventilation system -- I can just imagine the CO2 problem with all of them going at once. :eek: ;D

I think Oskaar keeps Redheads around to breath up all the excess CO2, this keeps them lightheaded and pliable.
>:D :p ;) ;D​

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I think it is also a "self fulfilling prophecy" in that most of the carboys being sold in homebrew stores seem to be 5 gallons (from what I have seen). This may be because of the previously mentioned tendency of using 5 gallon water jugs. This size therefore makes most of the recipes be sized for 5 gallons, which makes new brewers go out to buy a fermenter that can hold 5 gallons. They then formulate new recipes sized for 5 gallons, which......

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns