PDA

View Full Version : Meadů in the closet?

yabodie
06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I thought this would be of interest for this bunch. Yesterday I went to a wine/beer shop for some goodies and asked if they had any mead. The owner had to go into the back room and brought out a couple bottles he stocked for Xmas time 2005. He asked what it was. This is after he tried it by boiling it with mulling spices, which accompany the mead. I was a bit shocked, but gladly took the bottles off his hands. He said they never sold even after being on the discount shelf for some time. I guess the notion of mead is still a major foreign concept to most folks, hence the lack of it on the shelves at wine/beer shops. Hmmm, how to get the word out about meadů *ponders*

Dan McFeeley
06-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Mulling spices -- it wasn't a Chaucers, was it?

yabodie
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
It is the Christmas Mead from Lurgashall Winery out of the UK. Medium Sweet ABV 12.5%. I figured for $10 a bottle it would be a good buy. This way I could try a mead out of the UK.

JoeM
06-29-2006, 06:32 AM
$10 is a great deal...the cheapest i've ever seen it was $18 (then again i've only seen it twice).

--SEmper
06-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Wow! That's expensive...

When I started my first mead, I was surprised by the price of honey (expensive in colder climates)... For me it is not so easy to break even on the making of mead. I think it is about the same if I'd buy the bottles... But that is no fun is it :) You can get a good mead for 5 bucks, and a high quality one for 12... You can find them in every shop where they sell alcohol...

Come visit me in Warsaw, Poland ;) I got an extra couch/bed you can crash on :D

yabodie
06-29-2006, 09:53 AM
JoeM,
I have only seen the mead made for the Maryland Renaissance Festival in my local area. Here is a link to the site http://www.linganore-wine.com/specialtywines.html. Honestly, it is too sweet and when it warms up it almost becomes cough syrup like in taste. Then again after a couple glasses who cares when you are at a Renn Faire, checking out the attractions!! *drools*

I digress, so I was glad to find something else to compare what I am making to what is out there in the commercial world such that I can try to improve on what I do.

SEmper,
Don't tempt me!! I have never been to Poland but would love to go! Closest I was to Poland was Prague a few years back. Awesome city!!