• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Strawberry melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

DeltOgre

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
www.incorporatedwriting.com
I've recently started a batch of strawberry melomel with my wife... It's pretty generic, as we are low on fundage at the moment. Here's the recipe:

10 lbs. Genero Clover Honey (Wal-Mart)
48 fl. oz. Smucker's Strawberry Syrup
D-47 Lalvin

We heated the honey enough to dissolve it. Poured it over cold water and strawberry syrup. Damned pectin set, anyway. Nevertheless, it seems to have formed a solid amongst the masses, and isn't much affecting anything, at least not yet.

We pitched it on Sunday, and it's Thursday, now. A little foamy on the top, and all the "pectin" crud is on the bottom along with some nasty dead yeasties. It smells wonderful...

I was only wondering... Is there a way to remove the pectin, or should I really worry? I'm sure I can rack it off the crud, but I still want to be sure I haven't killed my first mead...

Love and Peace to all,
DeltOgre

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
Smucker's Strawberry Syrup - not really a good choice as a fruit source. It's got more sugars in it than Strawberry Puree. It also has Fruit Pectin and Xanthan Gum added to it. Both of those are probably what you are seeing. Frozen Strawberries would have been a better choice.

If you have access to Pectic Enzyme, you could try adding some to clear the Fruit Pectin up. It won't help with the Xanthan Gum. I would just wait for racking and not worry about it.

DeltOgre

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
That's about what I figured... Seeing as fresh strawberries are pretty scarce around here, and I am low on dough, the Smucker's was just what the doctor ordered... What the hey. Five gallons of must for under 20 bones... Can't beat it.

I'll keep the world abreast of my impending success. I'm sure you're all just waiting on the edge of your seats...

PEACE!

finburger

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2006
Interesting mead, though I'm not sure I'd call it a melomel ;)

Does that syrup have any strawberries in it all, or is it just flavorings?

DeltOgre

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
You rock, Lugh. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were a fellow journalist... Way to dig those facts!

I know it's not the "best thing" to use in a mead... I'm just shooting for something...nay, ANYTHING to put in the ol' carboy. Sweet and syrupy is my speed.

When I have a bit more time and patience, I'll mash up some fruities... Until then, I'm going ALL PROCESSED!!! NO NATURAL ANYTHING FOR ME!!! MOOWAH HAH HA HA HA!!!

Lugh

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2005
Not a journalist - a webmaster. My wife always tells people - if it's on the web, Lugh can find it in under a minute. :)

I think I would still call it a melomel since the primary flavoring is fruit - syrup or not. A spiced mead is usually called a Metheglin even if you only have a few cloves in it, and you certainly have more fruit pruee than any other non-sugar/honey additive.

Keep us posted - experimentation is the name of the game!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns