PDA

View Full Version : natural 'original' mead

mrmead
07-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi,

Can I make mead out of just honey and water. I don't want to buy a packet of yeast from a shop, I want to make it out of ingredients I have lying around i.e. honey and water.

If so how do I go about this ? I only want to make a couple of pints worth to try it. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

GrantLee63
07-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I doubt you will be sucessful without some type of yeast. Keep in mind that there will be no naturally ocurring wild yeast in honey - at least I don't think there is. What is the reason you do not want to buy a pack of yeast?

JoeM
07-03-2006, 04:57 PM
You can try making up a honey must and putting in an open container in your back yard for a day or two and then taking it in and putting it under airlock. Of course you probably have a 9 out of 10 chance of making something completely rancid and undrinkable by this method. For the 95 cents it will cost you to buy a packet of yeast you can almost insure that you get something decent. Even plain old bread yeast from your super market will make perfectly good mead. It wouldnt be my first choice for most recipes, but its certainly more reliable than whatever stray yeast happen to be floating around your yard.

meadsteve
07-04-2006, 03:57 AM
A good idea would be to add some fruit that has a lot of wild yeast on it. In the british isles elderberries were traditional used for this purpose. So prehaps a natural 'original' melomel?