PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on my first batch.

Chesley
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi All,

On 6/27 I started my first batch of mead, a cyser in fact.

4 gallons unfiltered apple juice

12 lbs wildflower honey form local apiary

2 tsp yeast nutrient

1 tsp fermax

2 packs Lavlin 71b

OG was 1.130, well today(7/5) I noticed that it's slowed to about 1 burst of bubbles every 30 seconds or so and it's SG is now 1.020, that seems like a really short primary ferment to me but if I'm calculating right it's about 14% ABV already which I think is the yeast's tolerance level. So what do you folks think? Could I have just had an 8 day primary?

Oskaar
07-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Yes, short primaries in summer with apple juice, honey and a BUTTLOAD of nutrient like you used are not uncommon. Either the Fermax or the generic yeast nutrient you used would have been fine.

Rack it, stack it and let it clear, then rack it again.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Chesley
07-05-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks Oskaar, I'll cut back on the nutrients next time. I gotta start seeing these guys as beasts of burden and not house pets to fatten up.

Muirghein Tarot
07-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Think of them as construction workers your giving free beer to. Give them to little they get mad and quit on you. >:( Give them to much.... well they will certainly get the job done, but you might not like the final product. :P How much is just enough? That depends on the contractor. In this case the yeast. ;)
Tarot.