PDA

View Full Version : What Was Your Favorite Batch?

lostnbronx
07-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Just wondering what everyone's favorite batch of their own mead thus far has been, and why. For me, there are usually emotional conditions that are at least as important to me as the technical ones. For that reason, my favorite batch so far was a cyser I made years ago that I shared with my soon-to-be wife. It was made with cheapie apple juice, and maybe lacked a little in complexity, but it turned out rather nicely for all that, and was much enjoyed.

How's about you?

-David

Dmntd
07-09-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey David,

Last years Peanut Butter Mead.

I started it about two months after my first batch was started. Learned quite a bit making that mead, it finished the way I though it would, and the look on peoples faces when the flavor hit them was worth the trouble it took to make.

I've been thinking about making it again.

Dmntd

JamesP
07-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I have never tasted anything but my own :-[, so

my favourite was my first batch (http://www.gotmead.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,147/topic,4078.0)

The reason I liked it was the smooooothness at 3 yrs, and it stayed smooth a day after opening.

Dwhite
07-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Back in June I was cleaning out the kitchen cabinets and found a champagne bottle with a bottle cap on it. Turns out it's the last of my FIRST mead attempt from over 5 years ago. I threw it in the fridge and finally opened in this past friday night.

It was heaven. It was a cyser I made from a gallon of Whole Foods apple juice and an untold amount of plain clover honey (must remember to USE the BREWLOG!!!). It was so well balanced and all the flavors had blended so well. It was almost a shame to drink it.

All the Best,
Doug White

GrantLee63
07-13-2006, 05:33 AM
My favorite batch - to date - has been my JAO which I racked after it clarified, and bulk aged for 2 months before filtering and bottling. The only other meads I've had were the two No-Age Sweet Meads that I've made. The first one was too sweet (1.020 FG) for my taste, so I let the second batch get down to 1.010 FG. Much better! I have a third batch going right now and am planning on letting that one get down to 1.000 - 1.005. (Guess it really won't be a Sweet Mead when it's done :D )

I still have these batches in various stages of fermentation / bulk aging / bottle aging, so I will no doubt have another Favorite Batch down the road:

TriBerry Melomel on oak in secondary
Cyser on oak in secondary
French Columard Pyment in secondary
Sweet Vanilla in secondary (20 Tahitian beans split in half)
Acerglyn in secondary
Traditional 'Antipodal' bottle aging (opened another bottle last night - starting to improve remarkedly !)
No-Age Not-So-Sweet in primary

Stay tuned .....