• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Miriam?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
Has anyone heard from Miriam in the last few days? I haven't spoken with her on the site but from all the post of her's I've read she seems like a very nice and cool lady, and things are getting a little hot where she lives right now. Was just wondering if anyone had heard from her and if she was safe and well.
Tarot.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I received an email from her earlier today and she is definately concerned about the situation, and stocking up on supplies. I'm sure some communication from her friends here on the forums would be very welcome.

Oskaar

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Thank you, people, it's a great boost to the morale to hear messages of caring and concern.

We're not in present danger, here in the center of the country, but stress is high. Friends have been wounded in other parts of the country, and we may be in for a longer haul than first anticipated. But stores are open where I live; the ISP is up; buses run and I'm bottling mead.

I do float by here once in a while; it's nice to see the activity on the forum. Thanks again, the messages mean a lot to me.

Miriam

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Miriam,
Please be safe. I hope the situation is resolved sooner rather than later.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Miriam,

Stay safe, and be online as much as you can to let us know how things are going.

Angus

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I'm gonna echo everyone else, but please keep safe Miriam. It does my heart a world of good knowing you're OK and I'd like you to stay that way!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
...and I think I can speak for many of us in saying that we're praying to our Deity(s) for the safety of you and yours, and for a speedy end to the fighting and a return to some kind of peace.......

Vicky - sending good wishes positive energy

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Miriam,

Shalom La'chen! And also to your family! (I hope my transliteration and grammar are good enough! As you know, I am sadly deficient here!)

Petach Tikvah may be away from the area of conflict, but we know that everyone there must be watchful. I hope that all will remain well there.

I read the news, hear the conflicting reports on the interests that are at stake, historical and otherwise, but remember that it has often been said that the birthplace of Western culture and ethics is in two places. Jerusalem and Athens. Even Islam. That is the irony of this conflict.

Shalom is a wonderful word. It means more than political agreements. It means harmony, even eschatological harmony, as our Christian theologian friends might say. It is indeed a mikvah to ask one's higher power for Shalom in your part of the world, and that is what it may require. A higher power. We ask for Shalom in the Mid-East, and as Shalom may it truly be lasting.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Thank you so much, friends. Your messages of good will, here on the forum and PMs, mean so much to me.

We're sitting tight here in Petach Tikvah. I wish I could get up north and be there with my friends, maybe volunteer at the regional hospital - not likely, with roads possibly being closed soon and everyone sleeping in shelters and being told to stay off the streets, I'd be a burden, not a help. They will need as many volunteers as can be mustered once this mess is over, so I will wait.

We have reports of some friends wounded, some escaping a direct hit by a miracle. Here we are troubled enough to have organized supplies and packed emergency backpacks, but these things are just a reflex; the center of the country, where we are, has so far been left alone.

Please think of us here and continue praying, sending good energy. This war concerns all of us, not just Israel.

Dr. Siggy, as you know, Shalom is also one God's names. We hope to experience that facet of Him soon.

Miriam

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
This thread is just what I needed. every time I have heard the news the last few days, my first thoughts have been of Miriam. I would definitely like to echo everyone else's relief that you and yours are doing well, and hope that you continue to do so, and pray that . . . . I'm not exactly sure what to pray for anymore, but harmony sounds like an excellent start.

Okay, I'm actually so upset about the whole thing I can't even post gallows humor here. Or maybe my internal censor is finally doing its job. *shrug*

Good luck, best wishes, and blessings, Miriam.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Harmony sounds like a fantastic start to your good wishes, Scout. Thank you.

We're uneasy, but haven't been hit. Most of our friends in Safed, which yesterday bore the brunt of the day's Katyusha bombings, have left their homes to stay wherever else they can be. Those who stayed send email bulletins, visit others in shelters, strive to keep each other going. With last night's deep attack on the bunker where the Hizbullah leadership is living, I am more hopeful that the bombings in our country will lessen. Of course Hizbullah denies that anyone was affected, but that may be only bluster - we'll see in the next day or so.

In fact, my husband and I feel very guiltily fat-cat for having been spared the horrors that our northern communities live with. The morning sun is streaming in onto our clean, tiled floor and the worst worry I have is that it is striking some carboys, which I'll have to get up now and move. Thank Heaven; I don't ask for suffering to get equal merit with my beleaguered countrymen. I do what I can; raise money to send northward, send packages to soldiers, and pray. I plan to work off some of this guilt by going up north to volunteer in any capacity, once it's safe again. May everyone here, and all [/i innocent people caught up in this war, have peace again soon, soon, soon.

Miriam

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hello Miriam,

I'm very pleased to here you are well.

There's no reason for Feeling guiltily having been spared, those who survive without injury make better for those who have sufferd.

I hope these times pass without much more trouble and the end finds you and yours safe and well.

All of my prairs and wishes,

Anthony

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Anthony, a belated thanks for your good wishes. We are still on alert, which will no doubt continue for a goodish while. Most of my waking hours are spent fundraising for the people of my old home town, Tsfat. The most I've done with my meads and wines has been to rack and bottle a few carboys, no new projects in mind. Because it has crossed my mind that if we suffer a rocket attack, God forbid, all that wonderful stuff would go up in vapor.

Oskaar, the dried blueberry melomel was one of the ones I racked, and it is already tasty in spite of its young age. It's still fizzy. No big blueberry flavor, just a pleasant, generally fruity taste. But - Lord willin' and the crick don't rise sort of thing - I hope to report more interesting news of it as it ages.

Miriam

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Hi, all,

Just cruising by to see what everyone's been doing. Miss you all! The world of mead and wine is receding into unreality as harsh events here develop, with harsh consequences in our lives...but the ring of your familiar "voices" is sweet to my ear.

Miriam

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
Thanks for checking in, Miriam. I think I speak for everyone here (I just got to it first *grins*) when I say we miss hearing from you, too, and we are very glad to hear you're okay. Other than think to myself, "I wonder if Miriam's okay?" everytime I watch the news, I feel I can't really do anything (can't make you get online and check in *grins*), so I guess just know that I am thinking about you and wishing you and yours well. And by "yours" I mean pretty much everyone over there.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Miriam,
Our voices ring in your ears? I've heard that some people hear voices, and that some times people's ears ring (earrings are more common however)... but I've never heard of both phenomena occurring simultaneously. I hope it's not affecting your balance... do you find yourself leaning to the left or right, forward or back? ;) Just remember when things look darkest, follow Oskaar's sage advice, break out the mead, head to the shelter and... Toga, TOga, TOGA!

We miss you and send Joy, Faith and Hope your way, all Oskaar asks for in return is three redheads, he's not particular about their names. ;D We miss your presence on the forum, take care.

Wrathwilde

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Miriam,

Keep your head down, and your chin up. Remember that there are a lot of us over here thinking about you. Look forward to more posts when everything calms down over there, it is finally looking like there is at least a glimmer at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers
Jay

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
Miriam,
I'll join the miriad of voices praying for peace and goodwill, please stay safe and may He keep you and yours out of harm's way. We miss you here and i surely miss your stories ;).

Stay well,
Brewbear

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Thanks again for all your messages of concern, my friends. We're into the second day of ceasefire, and long may it last.

To celebrate, I decided to spend some time bottling and racking today. Turned the radio on, and it was kindly playing old jazz and swing numbers, great. Shlepped the carboy of Ancient Orange that I had backsweetened with honey syrup a while ago onto the kitchen counter and lined up a bunch of sanitized bottles in the sink. Decided to taste the hooch before bottling.

Darn, too diluted, I thought. Drank a large glassful, and never a buzz. Well, it was still tasty. Drank a little more. I went about my business, bottling along, and suddenly realized that I had been singing "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Dream a Little Dream of Me" loudly - and soulfully - all by myself there in the kitchen.

Giggle. Just to let you all know that things are OK around here right now.

Miriam

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns