PDA

View Full Version : NO Laughin'....what the hey, have a good one

Melodymaker
07-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi all, I've been making saurkraut, kifer and other fermented edibles for awhile and have been browsing through this web site too. I got the bug to try and make a simple fermented beverage with just some organic honey and h2o. So I took one of my crocks and filled it with about a gal. of water and 3 cups of honey and covered it with a cloth, stirring it frequently over the course of 3 days. The weather's been hot here. Though it smelled good there wasn't any visible activity so I took a little out and mixed in a package of baking yeast and after 15 minutes stirred it into my crock. oh yeah, I also threw in a couple of handfuls of organic raisins just to see if that would help get things going.

That was yesterday afternoon. This morning things were still pretty quiet except I thought I was seeing a few bubbles, but nothing really active. So I strained it out into a clean just and put an airlock of it and LO,..it's bubblin' like crazy!

Question? Can anyone tell me what I'm making and where I can take it from here? AND will it be drinkable.

I think next time I'm going to follow some of the wonderfull recipes I've read about here.

I really appreciate any input,.......when your done laughin!! :)

WRATHWILDE
07-15-2006, 12:41 PM
MelodyMaker, Welcome to the Forum!
Sounds like Mead to me. Most any liquid is drinkable (I've even heard that there are people who drink beer- no accounting for taste) just not all liquids are agreeable (one way or another). Don't be too discouraged if its less than wonderful, take one of the recipes here on the site and try again.

Wrathwilde

Melodymaker
07-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Mead? Wow, I've been into health food for many years and can eat or drink just about anything.......Thanks for your input, Wrathwilde,....also, can you give me an idea where to go from here,....how long do I leave the airlock on.......till the bubbles stop? Is it drinkable then?

WRATHWILDE
07-15-2006, 01:02 PM
When the airlock activity rack drops to about once every 15 to 30 seconds rack into a fresh container. DO NOT POUR OR STRAIN. use a food grade tube to siphon the mead into the new container. Sanitize the Airlock and attach to new container. (I assume you don't have a hydrometer) wait another 3 months after racking and you should have a semi-drinkable mead. See my post for Newbees here. (http://www.gotmead.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,103/topic,3495.0)

Cheers,
Wrathwilde