• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Score!

Barrel Char Wood Products

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
My hubby was walking down to get the mail with my daughter (yes we live in a house, but we have those stupid neighborhood mailboxes that make us feel like we are back in an apartment), when he came back with a box of 7 wine bottles. SCORE! Someone had put them out on the curb for garbage. DH even cleaned them and removed the labels for me. Such a sweetie!

I'm thinking that when National Night Out comes, if there is anyone outside, I may let them know that if they have any winebottle to get rid of, I would love to have them. I've already conscripted my in-laws (as well as giving them something better than cheap store bought wine to drink - a bottle of my cranberry melomel! *grins*) into giving me all their empties. I just realized I need to get a bunch of bottles and soon, as I just started a 6 gallon batch of Ancient Orange. I think I will need my "cellar" fitted out before it's done, too, or I will have bottles all over my kitchen!

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
If you need more bottles, try fairs, festivals, resteraunts as they are usually more than happy to support a recycling effort.

With bottle prices at the local brew supply, almost all of my bottles have been recycled.

Some of my friends are very conscientious. They remove the labels and wash the bottles. Regardless - if they help me bottle, I reward them with a portion (not just a couple of samples) of the product as well.

I fear the day when I have no more room left for bottles.

scout

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2005
scoutbrewblog.blogspot.com
insanity said:
I fear the day when I have no more room left for bottles.

*grins* That's why I am fitting a huge closet sized pantry out as a bar/liquor cabinet/wine cellar. Will post pics when I get my hubby to take care of it. It will take years for me to fill the space I have available, and that's only if I stop drinking what I make! :)

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Cool deal scout,

Free bottles are a great deal. Never come across them myself so I buy them a case at a time, friends and family are good about getting them back clean, that saves money.

Dmntd

Alden

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2005
One suggestion I was given for champagne bottles was to go around to restaurants that do Sunday brunches. I don't see why you couldn't ask for regular wine bottles too. :)

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
I happen to like th Grolsch bottles. I found a new Tapa bar not far from my house just before I left on my trip. I asked him to save me the Grolsch bottles and today when I got back he had 8 of them for me. Hopefully a slow but sure supply, now I just have to find about 6 more places that will save them for me and I'll be all set.

Cheers
Jay

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
The 'Target' down here sell a type of lemonade in Grolsch capped bottles for about three dollars. They are the size of a wine or champagne bottle. It comes in limeade, cherry limeade, and lemonade. It's clear glass but hey what can you expect for three bucks.

Tarot.

Alden

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2005
I recently started using 500mL grolsch bottles. My LHBS sells some beautiful cobalt blue ones.

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I dunno what the recycling facilities are like where all of you are, but I managed to score 100 grolsch bottles from a local bottle recycling depot for $30 CDN. They had to be washed, and all the rubbers replaced (but my LHBS sells those cheap), but otherwise they were awesome. Certainly aiding in bottling the 3 batches of beer I had on the go!

Mu

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 1, 2005
Melbourne
Another good source of wine bottles is vineyards (If you happen to live in a wine area). They have tasting bottles they use every weekend, and the wine can not be kept. They also tend to like drinking the stuff. I’m yet to ask my boss (I work casual at a vineyard) however I should so I can build up a collection of bottles.

Mu.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns