PDA

View Full Version : Potential Cyser Issue

GrantLee63
07-31-2006, 05:27 AM
I started a 5 gallon batch of cyser on April 29, 2006. I just racked it off the oak it's been 'sitting' on for the past two months (2 ounces of American Medium Toast and 2 ounces of French Heavy Toast) and it smells - and tastes - great. The only issue I have with it is that it is somewhat hazy and has been that way for quite some time. This one has been sitting on the lees since day one, and I did stir/swirl during the first 3 weeks, but haven't touched it since, ie, this is the FIRST time it has been racked.

Here is my recipe which has been cut and pasted from my Mead Brew Log:

I made a 5 gallon batch of Cyser today from a recipe I found on the internet. Here are the ingredients and quantities I used:

• 5 Gallons of Apple Juice (I used Kroger brand – no sorbates)
• 12 Pounds of Gordon Foods brand Clover Honey
• 12 Cinnamon Sticks
• 1 Tablespoon of Grated Orange Peel
• 12 Whole Cloves
• 6 Teaspoons of Yeast Nutrient
• 3 Teaspoons of Yeast Energizer
• 5 Packs Lalvin D-47 (YES - 5 Packs - 25 grams)

The OG was 1.115 and the gravity yesterday when I racked it was 1.040. The temp down in my basement has been between 65 and 72 degrees during the duration, and there were NO fermentation issues (at least that I'm aware of!) The only thing that was notable was a slight 'film' that developed on the surface which I contributed to the orange peel. But again, no strange odors or tastes.

Now this mead was made before I knew about Fermaid and Fermax, and I probably 'over-nutriented' this one a bit with some generic nutrient and energizer. My knowledge of Mead Making has increased tremendously since this batch was put together thanks to this forum. :)

In any event, do I need to put some pectin enzyme in this one? I DID NOT boil or heat the must / honey. If I need to use some enzyme, how much, and what procedure do I use for adding it at this point? Or perhaps there is another clarifying agent that I should use? Or perhaps, I just need to chill a bit and wait?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated !

- GL63

yabodie
07-31-2006, 11:14 AM
GL63,
Did you use unfiltered apple juice? The cysers I have clearing at the moment have all been with unfiltered apple juice and they are taking their sweet time to clear. However, I do see nice stratification in the cysers as the yeast are settling out. Some of my traditional show meads, which were started after the cysers, are already clear. So depending on your juice selection it might need to clear a bit longer.

I am sure the sages will provide other insights…

Oskaar
07-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey GL,

Yabodie is pretty much on the nose, cysers and ciders with unfiltered pasteurized juice can take quite some time to clear. If you're ambitious, you can rack them again. Racking tends to help the clearing process, even when the lees are minimal.

Also, if your store bought apple juice was pasteurized and unfiltered then it's not a bad idea to use some pectinase in the must at the beginning of fermentation.

At this point patience and racking are the watch words.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

GrantLee63
07-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys ..... I'm assuming the juice I used was filtered as it was crystal clear when I bought it. I'll be patient ..... :-\

scout
07-31-2006, 06:28 PM
So if the cider you use is cloudy (and therefore, prolly unfiltered), definitely drop in some pectic enzyme at the beginning? I have been musing about making some cyser in the next month or two, and Randall's has a great tasting organic cider that comes in glass gallon jugs (bonus), and if I remember it is VERY cloudy (required a good shaking every time you want a glass).

yabodie
07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
GL63,
If the apple juice was clear when you bought it then just wait a bit, if you can, and it will drop clear. I did an experiment with D47, EC-1118 and K1-V1116 and all but the D47 have cleared to the point you can read 12 point font through the gallon jug. The D47, is just now getting to that point. I started the experiment on 4/8/06. So you might need to wait this one out with the D47.

Scout,
I have not used Pectin in my cysers. I rarely heat anything anymore, so if you don’t heat the apple juice you should not have to worry about the pectin setting. Then again it might depend on how the apple juice was prepared in the first place. One thing to consider with the unfiltered Apple Juice is that you have a yeastie buffet in the must. So for my cysers I do tend to, and will continue to use the unfiltered stuff. I can not wait for the fresh apple cider this fall. I plan on using that for some cysers around Halloween…….

GrantLee63
08-01-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks yabodie .... yes, the apple juice I used was definitely clear when I bought it. Waiting will not be an issue with this one, as although it tasted pretty good for a young mead, it is way too hot at this point.

My initial plan is to let it bulk age for at least 6 months before bottling it, so I have nothing to do with this one but to be patient. I guess if nothing happens between now and the end of September, I'll start getting really concerned .....

Thanks again ! - GL63

scout
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks from me, too, yabodie. :) I guess I'll just make sure to use K1-V1116 so that none of the "native" yeasts have a chance to establish themselves. Now I just need to wait for cider to go on sale, it's at $10/gallon right now - ICK! :)