PDA

View Full Version : JAO at 46 days

azbrewer
08-03-2006, 12:52 AM
So if everthing but a few raisins fall at 46 days, does that mean that it is done? It is crystal clear, I just don't want to wait any more,

Gonzo
08-03-2006, 01:44 AM
You might find that if you do decide to bottle it now it might be "green" as some beer drinkers would say. But if you do bottle it and let it set for months; if you can stand it, it will taste better. It will mellow, more of a wine instead of a laquer. That's in opinion tho, I did where your at. I wanted to drink it as soon as it was "done". But done is what you make of it. Some people can handle letting all the fruit drop, which takes quite a while....like months.

gonz

scout
08-03-2006, 09:04 AM
It will mellow, more of a wine instead of a laquer.

Gonzo, that is EXACTLY how some of my brews taste right before bottling, like lacquer!!! Bleck *grins*

azbrewer - have patience, young mazer! I have been told that a normal mead does not get truly "good" before 6 months of aging, and cannot approach "great" until after at least a year. This is why all of us new mazers love JAO! I don't know firsthand about the benefits of aging yet, I am about to celebrate my first anniversay by cracking open a bottle of JAO I have stashed away just to see what aged mead tastes like. Let your JAO sit for at least 2 full months, 3 preferably, and you will be quite happy with the results - I sure was!

azbrewer
08-03-2006, 12:43 PM
That is not what i was hoping to hear :) :). Should I bottle it now or wait till 2 months letting it bulk age a bit longer

JayH
08-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, sound like your headed down the same route I took. My first gallon batch of JAO was gone well before two months were up. So do what I did, start 3 more batches NOW. Hopefully you can wait most of the two months for the first bottle, another month for the second so it has a chance to become decent and another month for the 3rd so it become even better. Then start a batch every couple of weeks, or however fast you think a gallon of JOA will be drunk up around your house. This way you have a continuous supply of something to drink until some of your longer aging meads become drinkable. My hope is that it will keep me from drinking up some of the rest before their time.

Cheers
Jay

scout
08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah and don't forget to scale up to 5, 6, or even 10 gallon batches, so you don't have to make it so often! *big grins*

David Baldwin
08-04-2006, 05:38 PM
I've made many batches of JAO - some exactly to the recipe and some somewhat modified. I've actually lost count at this point.

I prefer to make it in 3 gallon batches and let it bulk age with a bit of oak. It's well worth the wait.

David

azbrewer
08-04-2006, 07:15 PM
I mostly brew beer but had to try mead. I bought a bunch of stuff from a brewer getting out of the hobby and now i have a 6 gallon carboy that is just acking to be filled with mead. Now to find 15 pounds of honey.

Gonzo
08-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Az:
If your into beer, try JoeM's Basic Braggot. It's beer and mead ingredients combined. You wont be unsatSified.

azbrewer
08-06-2006, 05:53 PM
A couple of threads down is one on braggots. With a little help form Promash I think I switched it to All grain. Does 5 1/2 pounds of 2row instead of DME and 1/2 pound of crystal 60(mashed) with 3 pounds of honey sound right? I plan on making a small (1 gal) batch as I want the 6 gallon carboy for straight mead. Quick edit.. I will scale the recipe down to 1 gal after I get it right.

finburger
08-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Two minths is a bit early. I bottled one bottle and racked the rest to a 3L bottle. At two months the cinnamon was very dominant. The mead tasted like a hot cinnamon candy.
At three months I bottled the rest and had the first bottle a couple weeks later. What a change. Its worth waiting the extra time.