View Full Version : Mead Day 2006

08-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Hope you all had a great Mead Day. I certainly did! We had about 15-20 people come out and fun was had by all. We made:

6gal traditional sweet mead
5gal Pale hopped braggot
6gal Redstone Sunshine Nectar Clone
25 "Town Famous" Beer Brats

I flatter myself really. "Town famous" is probably pushing it, but they are well known and highly requested amongst my friends.

We sampled the Morning Wood oak aged OB that we made last year for mead day. It is coming along nicely, and should be very good at next years gathering. Also an apple blossom show mead that has managed to sparkle itself. A pleasant and welcome mistake. Then broke into some of the local commercial meads. The Peach mel form last year, has just recently made a drastic change in flavor and will be bottled this week. We will open the first bottle at next year's Mead Day, and I expect it will be wonderful.

Drunken debauchery played out into the night, and fun was had by all. Good mead, Good food, good cigars, and good friends!

Happy Mead Day!

08-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey Greenblood,

Hadn't seen you in a while, glad to see you're out there and kickin'!!

Sounds like you have a very productive mead day, good on you Mate! I was kind of quiet this mead day but managed to whip up an avocado cuvee base mead which will become a dry sparkling mead in the method champagnoise.

I'm doing the big brewing next week with my brewclub buddies, we'll be making some of my BleuCherryBerry Cyser, some Show Meads and Melomels. Should be a total kick in the ass!

There will be cigars involved, as there will be a the next mead festival (this time I'll bring more along with me!) and there will be sausages and saffron mustard involved!

Did the Pirtle boys join you?

08-08-2006, 03:41 AM
We didn't have the best show that I could have hoped for, but about 6-8 people (plus lots more in and out, it was a busy day at the local LHBS) watched as I made a 5 gallon batch of Oskaarz Traditional Oaked Sweet Mead + two one gallon batches of JAO. One with Orange Blossom honey and one with buckwheat.

Then some of us spent the evening trying to drink the place dry and playing music, not a bad evening if I do say so myself.

08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Pete,
Yah, I am still kickin. Been busy preparing to be a father. I had not decided whether or not to announce it on the forums, but now is as good a time as any. My lady and I will be proud parrents in mid September.

Love the Avacado traditional methode idea. I am working with a few members in my guild right now to do a belgian beer in the Methode Champagnoise. It was inspired by the Maltose Falcons out in Cali who we have established a friendship with. Great buch of guys.

You know we will be puffing some good cigars at the next Meadfest. That was a great night.

I did not even think to give Scott Pirtle a call. I need to go by there soon and try out there new blueberry wine. Maybe I can trade him some of my ABC for it.

Glad to hear you are well. Good luck with your meads in the coming week.