PDA

View Full Version : a 10 gallon batch of JAO......?

CrimsonMead
08-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Hey everyone,

Just finished drinking my first 1 gallon batch of Joe's Ancient Orange (not all at once of course :) and I loved it! Its tastiness blew me away. I even deviated from the recipe a little and added 1 tsp. of Bourbon Vanilla which I think added a little more complexity to it.

Anyhow, I have a laboratory grade 12 gallon Pyrex container that would work perfect for this. So I was thinking about making a 10 gallon batch of JAO in it.

Should this work fine? I have read about 5 gal. batches of JAO, but what about 10 gal.? What about the amount of yeast for a batch this size?

I would be most grateful for any advice on this. I really want to use this container I have and at the moment dont see any reason why it shouldnt work. Thanks!

JoeM
08-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Just one question, is there any possibility that your laboratory pyrex was ever actually used in a laboratory? If so i would seriously avoid using it for food products.

CrimsonMead
08-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Just one question, is there any possibility that your laboratory pyrex was ever actually used in a laboratory? If so i would seriously avoid using it for food products.

Haha, yeah that would be a bad idea. This container is brand new. I actually had it made for a project but never got around to it. Its brand spankin new. Never been used for anything.

JoeM
08-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Awesome, where can I get one and how much will it cost me?

GrantLee63
08-09-2006, 05:33 PM
I was one who made a 5 gallon batch and I just multiplied all the ingredients by 5. If I were to make a 10 gallon batch, I would multiply everything by 10. My opinion is that if it worked for 5 why would it NOT work for 10?

My guess is that some will recommend you cut back on the yeast, but personally, I would put in the full 10 teaspoons.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress !

- GL63

mminuet
08-10-2006, 05:53 PM
I have read about 5 gal. batches of JAO, but what about 10 gal.?

To purchase the three and a half gallons of moderate to average quality honey that it would take for me to make a 12 gallon batch of JAO would cost about $350, including shipping. That's a lot of eggs in one basket. The cost of a one gallon glass carboy is a little less than three dollars. It would be hard to convince me to risk brewing a batch in your pyrex container, and that's without even hearing about its shape (physical dimensions).

I have a laboratory grade 12 gallon Pyrex container that would work perfect for this. So I was thinking about making a 10 gallon batch of JAO in it

That sounds like a lot of ullage to me. I wonder if your oranges will turn hairy before CO2 production ramps up.

GrantLee63
08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
To purchase the three and a half gallons of moderate to average quality honey that it would take for me to make a 12 gallon batch of JAO would cost about $350, including shipping.

Wow ... where the heck do you live where 3 1/2 gallons of average honey is going to cost you $350.00 ??? !!!??? I just bought some high quality RAW honey for $75.00 per 5 GALLONS here in SE Michigan. Of course I did not have to pay for shipping but even if I did, it would probably only be $20.00 - $30.00.

Costco sells Sue Bee brand honey for about $8.00 per 5 pounds, and Gorden Foods sells 6 pound bottles of honey for about the same price, so figure approximately $16.00 per gallon for commercial quality honey. But again, I do not know where you are, and I suppose if you are in BFE, $350.00 for about 42 pounds of honey may be the asking price .....

David Baldwin
08-10-2006, 06:24 PM
I have very good success with 3 gallon batches. Remember thought that as the scale increases, you should consider more "orthodox" vinting procedures. (I wanna see a video of you shaking a 10 gallon carboy!)

Multiplying the recipe by 10 will work just fine. Make sure you get good oxygenation for your yeast though, and you may want to consider making a yeast starter.

Good luck!

David

DeltOgre
08-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Half-Inch power drill with a spackle paddle... WeeeHaaaah!!!!

Yeah... Shaking a ten-gallon carboy would be a stretch... Maybe put it in a VW and go off-roading...

CrimsonMead
08-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Mminuet,

I get all my honey from a local bee keeper. Its totally raw and unprocessed. Its definitely some of the best honey I have ever tasted and we get each 5 gallon pale for less than a $100. I think I'll use a mix of light clover and meadowfoam for this batch.

Yeah, there is always the possibility of the oranges going south but I really dont think that will happen.

David Baldwin,

Ohhh, a 10 gallon shake wont be that bad :-) I lift atlas stones so it cant be much worse than that.

Yes, I'll definitely do a yeast starter. Excellent advice.

CrimsonMead
08-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Forgot to add. Once I get the batch started I'll get some pictures of it on here.

CrimsonMead
08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey everyone,

How do I insert an image? I guess I'm computer illiterate ;D

I click "insert image" and I just get [ img ][ /img ].

If anyone could help me I would be most grateful. Thanks.

akueck
08-18-2006, 01:19 AM
I think you have to tell the server where the image is. I don't think the gotmead server hosts images for you, so you'll need to have it sitting on the internet somewhere and those tags will help you fetch it and add it to your post. I'm not super internet-savvy myself, so I haven't gotten around to pictures yet either. For starters, load your pictures onto the internet somewhere (a photo hosting site for example).

Oskaar
08-18-2006, 05:13 AM
That's correct. We're currently in a bit of a limited disk space situation, and we figured the space would be better spent on slowly but surely filling in premium content for the Gotmead Patrons. There are many places to host your photos on the internet so what many people do is to get an account on an image server and upload their photos, and then link to them from the message they are posting.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

GrantLee63
08-18-2006, 05:22 AM
Oskaar - It's 2:15 AM in your neck of the woods - for God's Sake Man, Get Some Sleep !!!

Crimson - My PC is the 'host' of my image .....

kash
08-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Oskaar - It's 2:15 AM in your neck of the woods - for God's Sake Man, Get Some Sleep !!!

Crimson - My PC is the 'host' of my image .....

I'm not crimson, but here's a bit of advice that should work for you.

go to this web site http://imageshack.us/ Click the little grey "browse" button and find the image you wish to share with us on your computer and then click the "host it!" button below. This will upload the image to imageshack's server and then it will offer you a varity of ways to share it with us.

One of the ways will already have the [ img ] tags around it, so all you'll have to do is "click, copy" and "paste" it into the post reply box.

Hope that takes ya where ya wanted to go.

CrimsonMead
08-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks everybody. The imageshack was very easy.

This is actually a 10.5 gallon batch (40 liters).

I did manage to shake it some, but had to finish aerating it by bouncing it on a bed. It actually worked quite well!

The day after I made this it was bubbling nicely.

http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/7333/picture1dl9.th.jpg (http://img322.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1dl9.jpg)

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5712/picture2he0.th.jpg (http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2he0.jpg)

DeltOgre
08-19-2006, 10:39 AM
HOLY CRAP.

Bouncing on a bed... That's...inventive. To say the very least...

Mu
08-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Simpler solution for next time might be to put some of the must into a blender (that you sterilize and clean well of cause)

Mu.

Dan McFeeley
08-20-2006, 11:23 AM
This is actually a 10.5 gallon batch (40 liters).

I did manage to shake it some, but had to finish aerating it by bouncing it on a bed. It actually worked quite well!

Great! That's the kind of innovation used in the ancient days of Joe's Orange Melomel ;D ;D ;D

This would also work -- get a plastic spoon/paddle from your local homebrew/wine supply store. Attach it to the chuck of a hand held drill. Plug it in and aerate!

SteveT
08-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Cordless drills work well also! ;)

DeltOgre
08-23-2006, 10:18 AM
So... You never did say where you got this behemoth of a carboy, anyways... How much did it cost?

CrimsonMead
08-23-2006, 12:52 PM
So... You never did say where you got this behemoth of a carboy, anyways... How much did it cost?

It cost about $600 when I got it over a decade ago. Had it made by Corning. I'm sure they have them available now ready made though.

DeltOgre
08-23-2006, 04:09 PM
You did say that it's Pyrex, right?

Dang. You could probably heat your must right in there. It'd make skimming a bit difficult, but hey...

Far out. I need to check their site out!

JoeM
08-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I was afraid that you were going to say something like $600. I would LOVE to have one like that but dont have the cash and would most certainly break it within a week.

CrimsonMead
09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Its been about 3 weeks since I made the mead and the gravity is 1.057. The OG was 1.152. So that makes the current alc. by vol. just under 12.5% Are these good numbers for this mead?

What do most of you end up with on the Final Gravity and alc. content with this mead?

lostnbronx
09-16-2006, 04:12 PM
"Normal" for JAO seems to range anywhere from 8% to 14% ABV. That's about as consistent as Fleishmann's produces as far as I can see. I mean, hey, it is just a bread yeast.

-David

CrimsonMead
10-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Okay, I have transferred the JAO to two 5 gallon carboys. The first carboy got filled with totally clear mead and the second got quite a bit of yeast when it got down to the bottom.

What is the fastest way of getting the yeast to settle to the bottom so I can get to bottling?

I was thinking about putting the carboy with the yeast in the fridge. That has always made my beers clear up quickly.