PDA

View Full Version : World's Greatest Eggnog

GrantLee63
08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Yeah I know it's only the middle of August, but hey, we all know that the Holiday Season will be upon us before we know it. With that being said, I'd like to share with you an eggnog recipe that I've been making for my family every year for the past 18 years.

Although I've never deviated from the recipe, this year I'm going to be adding a couple of split-in-half vanilla beans as I think some vanilla flavor would only improve it. And it only took me 18 years to figure that out !

Here is the article / recipe as I found it in the December 21, 1988 Detroit News:

THE WORLD'S GREATEST EGGNOG

There are two kinds of eggnog in the world, mine and sorry imitations of mine. Mine is velvety, creamy and redolent of bourbon. It induces a dream-like state a poet once referred to as a “long winter’s nap.” Soupy imitation eggnogs contain fruit juice, rum, or – heaven forbid – eggnog ice cream. They are for “people on the go.”

Mine is made for people going nowhere. My eggnog is for people who want to remain pleasantly immobile, who want to spend time talking with people they care about. It is a drink for holiday gatherings where the slow ebb and flow of life, rather than a quick-silver business deal, is what people want to talk about. If this steady-as-she-goes pace bothers you, then my eggnog is NOT for you.

Nor is it for folks who are phobic about calories, cholesterol or alcohol. My eggnog has all that stuff. My eggnog is an old-fashioned, indulgent drink that relies on the old-time remedy of common sense to prevent any abuses.

I am frequently asked questions about my eggnog. Questions like; “Is it a lot of work to make?” The answer is “Yes.” The first step of the eggnog-making procedure, mixing the sugar and the bourbon, begins the night before the other steps needed to complete the elixir can commence.

Another often-asked question I get is, “How many calories are in this eggnog?” The short answer is beyond calculation. I lost my nerve when the total of HALF the ingredients in the recipe topped 6,000. But the calorie total should be divided by 20 if you serve the eggnog in big cups or by 30 if you serve it in petite portions.

The next question usually is, “Is the eggnog worth the trouble and calories?” You bet your little bowl full of jelly it is! Drinking this eggnog ranks right up there in holiday pleasures with peeling tangerines and watching small children open presents on Christmas morning.

Here is the recipe:

The World’s Greatest Eggnog

• 4 Cups Bourbon (A liter of Jim Beam HAS 4 cups)
• 2 ¼ Cups Sugar
• 12 Large Egg Yolks
• 8 Cups Whipping Cream

Pour the bourbon into a very large mixing bowl. Add sugar and let sit several hours – overnight if you can wait. Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved before proceeding to the next step. (I use a large Tupperware bowl with a lid so I can vigorously shake the mixture periodically)

Beat the egg yolks (NO WHITES!) until they are an ugly yellow color. Fold into the bourbon-sugar mix. Let sit for two hours – overnight if you can wait. (Obviously, you want to make sure to refrigerate this mixture, and again, periodically shake vigorously)

Add the cream to the bourbon – sugar – egg yolk mixture. Let sit for two hours – overnight again if you can wait. (Shake and / or stir periodically to ensure as homogenous of a mixture as possible)

The recipe may be cut in half if you are clever enough to know how to divide 2 ¼ by two. Serve in cups. Serves 20 to 30. NUTMEG NOT PERMITTED!

ENJOY!!!!!

Mynx
08-15-2006, 11:30 AM
OH man... I'm trying this at Xmas if funds allow :D My boyfriend is an eggnog fanatic, so I know he'll appreciate it...

And maybe this'll give me a recipe to trade his mother for her super secret Irish Cream recipe ;)

GrantLee63
08-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Your boyfriend will love this stuff Mynx !!!!! Use the relatively cheap standard Jim Beam bourbon as, in my personal experience, feel this makes the best 'nog. Also, you can buy half-gallon size containers of whipping cream at Costco for about 8 bucks.

I don't really care much for bourbon, only drinking it in my eggnog. I've used quite a few different varieties of bourbons over the years including some pretty expensive 'small batch' bourbons, and none are quite the same as the Jim Beam. The eggnog really mellows out if you let it sit - in a refrigerator of course - for about a week before consuming.

Does anyone know how long this stuff would actually last provided it is refrigerated properly? I've never had any left after New Year's Day, and I usually make it the 2nd week in December, so the longest I've had it last is probably less than 3 weeks. Seems to me the high alcohol content would make it last for quite some time.

By the way, last year I made 3 batches of this stuff !!! Hey, my family is growing - as well as everybody's fondness of my eggnog ;D

- GL63

Oskaar
08-16-2006, 06:04 AM
Looks like a great recipe. No spices might be tough to get past, but I'm willing to give it a fair chance.

Cheers,

Oskaar

tinuviel_k
02-03-2007, 03:40 AM
I tried your eggnog recipe (1/4 of the amount, since my husband doesn't like alcohol in his eggnog :icon_scratch: ) over the holidays and I absolutely loved it! Thanks for posting it.

wolf_tracker
02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Did anyone try the meadowfoam honey?
Did anyone try putting mead in this?

If so what kind of mead?

Just wondering

:cheers:
Wolf

GrantLee63
02-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Tinuviel_K:

First of all, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! You've found an excellent source of information about mead and mead making, as well as a pretty decent eggnog recipe every now and then!!! I'm glad you liked the recipe - perhaps it will become an annual tradition with your family as well. Don't be a stranger, ask LOTS of questions, and watch your mead-making (and eggnog making for that matter) skills become world-class in no time at all!

Wolf_Tracker:

I don't know .... meadowfoam honey, perhaps instead of the sugar (Wrath?) but mead? I'm trying to imagine what this eggnog would taste like with mead - at least with the meads I've made - and I'm not getting a good feeling! Don't get me wrong ..... I've made some pretty damn good meads, but I don't think I would enjoy them mixed with heavy cream, and egg yolks!

- GL63

ucflumberjack
12-13-2007, 02:33 AM
i just had to bump this one.... I think im gonna make this stuff for christmas. Ill let yall know how it went.

Johnnybladers
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
My batches last year were very tasty. I cheated slighty though. I split all the ingredients into two equal batches pre-alcohol, then used bourbon for one and Captain Morgans silver spiced rum for the other (Rum?Gasp!!). Both were very tasty and different one from the other(as one would expect).

ucflumberjack
12-16-2007, 12:14 AM
i did a half batch, but i added the cream tonight. it tastes great but its a bit sharp, ill wait a few days and see how that changes it. i havnt taken teh vnailla beans out yet, ill strain the whole thing in a few days.

GrantLee63
12-17-2007, 06:38 AM
I made a double batch Saturday the 15th ..... same proven recipe except that I changed the 'process' a bit. I added the bourbon and sugar to a 3 gallon carboy and shook the hell out of until all the sugar was dissolved - about 20 minutes. Then I added the whipped egg yolks and proceeded to shake the hell out of the carboy again for about 10 minutes. Then the cream, and (you guessed it) shook the hell out of it for about 10 minutes.

The only deviation I made was that, instead of adding the entire split-in-half vanilla beans, I split them in half then scraped the seeds out of them then proceeded to add that to the carboy. I'm keeping the eggnog in the garage (it's been in the 20's here lately) and shaking it a few times a day. My plan is to bottle it this coming Saturday the 22nd after letting it 'bulk-age' a week. I'll probably split it up in Grolsch bottles for gifts this year.

Great stuff that is a BIG hit with my family and friends.

- GL63