PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Renaissance Faire Valhalla Theme--need GARB! Oct 28 &29

Cargirl
08-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Florence, Alabama, has a very nice and incongruently big renaissance faire on the last weekend of October every year and has for twenty years. Themes vary. Last year, Italy was it.

This year, we go a-viking! ;D ;D

Howsomever, neither I nor any of mine have a stitch of Danish, Flemish, or Norwegian garb. And this year, we want to attend the fabulous feast on the preceding weekend (catered for the past 5 years by Gode Cookery http://www.godecookery.com/alabama/al2001.htmland). Since we haven't a thing to wear, we're ready to shop.

If we just must, we'll sew, but time is a real pincher this year and I'd rather purchase at least some pieces.

Anybody have good sites to recommend?

David Baldwin
08-17-2006, 03:01 PM
http://www.funfolly.com/h/ca04a.htm#cpri2se

I've bought from these people. The service was excellent and the dress was lovely. I don't know if they have period Viking wear, but it's worth checking.

David

Muirghein Tarot
08-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Give these people a try they have just about every thing.
http://www.patchworkmerchantmercenaries.com/

I camp with vikings when we go to Gulfwars. True viking garb is not that hard to copy. It's basically a long tunic, with a studded belt, and as many amber and blue necklaces as you can find. Braid your hair if it will braid. Add the all important Thor's hammer necklace and you are there.

If your going for the armored look your on your own. Just remember horns are for drinking out of not for your helm.

Tarot.

Cargirl
08-17-2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.funfolly.com/h/ca04a.htm#cpri2se

I've bought from these people. The service was excellent and the dress was lovely. I don't know if they have period Viking wear, but it's worth checking.

David

Thank you sir! I shall certainly give them an overlook!

Cargirl
08-17-2006, 11:04 PM
...Just remember horns are for drinking out of not for your helm.

Tarot.

I was scouting about the web, looking for garb ideas, and found a picture that said, "Whatever you do, do not attend your event looking like this."

The link was to a pic of a giant of a 'viking' who had spent a decade hand-tanning what I took to be road-kill skins, hanging them by their tails about his person, and had somehow mounted curiously twisted horns on a helm. Fortunately, his identity was undetectable. :D

Muirghein Tarot
08-23-2006, 11:37 PM
In a by the way kind of moment I talked with the people from Patchwork the other day. They just maybe at the Florence Renfair. They have been the past two years at least. If you saw anything on their sit you liked they should have it on their tables or in the truck.

Tarot.

Cargirl
08-24-2006, 12:29 AM
In a by the way kind of moment I talked with the people from Patchwork the other day. They just maybe at the Florence Renfair. They have been the past two years at least. If you saw anything on their sit you liked they should have it on their tables or in the truck.

Tarot.

Thanks--I'll be on the lookout. I saw on their website that they had submitted their letter.

BTW--this is a silly question, I know--is a 'flagon' significantly different from other drinking vessels ???

Muirghein Tarot
08-24-2006, 09:54 AM
BTW--this is a silly question, I know--is a 'flagon' significantly different from other drinking vessels

Only silly if you didn't ask it. To the best of my knowledge the flagon was used as a storing cup from which you would fill your drinking cup. They would have a top and in some cases a spout.

You would go to the wine barrel or beer barrel and fill your flagon. When you got back to the table you would keep your drinking cup filled from the flagon. The lid would keep out the bugs and other flying objects. You know feasts.

Eventually they just stopped bothering with the drinking cup and drank straight from the flagon which is where the capped beer steins probably got their start.

Best I can find they would hold two pints. That amount is still called a flagon of liquid in some countries

Tarot.