PDA

View Full Version : Developments at Apple

Oskaar
08-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Apple Computer Inc. said Friday that it would appeal to Nasdaq officials to keep the company's stock listed on the exchange while an investigation into the timing of stock option grants delays the filing of quarterly financial reports.

The Cupertino, Calif., company formally notified the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday that it would not meet the deadline for reporting its fiscal third-quarter results.

That triggered a letter from Nasdaq saying Apple no longer met the exchange's listing requirements. Companies that trade on the tech-heavy Nasdaq have 40 days after the close of a quarter to file their reports with the SEC.

Apple warned investors last week that it would delay filing for the quarter that ended July 1 while it investigated irregularities in option grants.

The maker of iPods and Macintosh computers is the most prominent of the dozens of companies under scrutiny for their handling of options. Some allegedly distributed or dated options when their stocks were down so recipients could reap higher potential payouts.

Read more here (http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-apple12aug12,1,7326229.story?coll=la-headlines-technology)

Hopefully this is not the end of a great company!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dwhite
08-18-2006, 07:06 PM
My understanding about this is that nothing illegal was done. There is a question though about the value of said options regarding their execution date. At worst Apple will have to cough up some dollars, which could be sizeable, to make up the difference. This should not be enough to impact them terribly though.

Apple will be around for a LONG time yet.

All the Best,
Doug White

Oskaar
08-18-2006, 07:13 PM
I agree.

The biggest thing that Apple will have to deal with is the perception of impropriety by the masses. Anderson Consulting took it on the chin for cooking the books, so Apple will have a bit of PR work to do. People don't forget, they just kind of gum things to death.

Cheers,

Oskaar,

WRATHWILDE
08-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Apple could sacrifice Virginal Maidens every full moon and it still wouldn't make me give up OS X. >:D I can't think of anything, short of a few million dollars, that would get me to switch back to Windows. Watch Apples latest developers conference... here. (http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/aug_2006/event/index.html) Some cool (and cheezy) stuff coming up in Leopard, the next OS X release.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

PS - Won't you all join in to help rid the world Virgins, they've suffered enough, time to put them out of their misery. ;)

Dwhite
08-19-2006, 07:50 AM
Very few people take Linux seriously, yet (I though am a believer. Ubuntu rocks!) . If it wasn't for Apple, Micro$oft would have been found a monopoly years ago. Micro$oft needs Apple to maintain a "competitive balance" in the OS market.

All the Best,
Doug White

scout
08-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Doug, that is because, though it has definitely improved over the years, Linux can in NO way match the ease of use for the average computer user of Macs or Windows. Yes it is stable and a good system and it has gotten much better over the years in this area, but it still is not quite "user-friendly" enough for the masses.

PS - Wrath, stay away from my daughter. And stay away from any boys eyeing my daughter. Dang she's only 4 and I already have to start protecting her form the weirdos of the world?!?!? *big grins* Love you, Wrath, just hold still while I get the duct tape . . . . and a shoe. :)

WRATHWILDE
08-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Love you, Wrath, just hold still while I get the duct tape . . . . and a shoe. :)

Promises, promises. :-* ;) :P I Suppose I should clarify that for Scout (who has a sick mind by the way, as evidenced by her shoe fetish)... Help rid the world of virgins who are of legal and consenting age, mentally competent and at least marginally cute. If they aren't all of the above... you have my permission to let them wallow in self pity or delusional rightousness. :P

Wrathwilde

Dwhite
08-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah Scout, I agree. Linux does take a bit more computer savvy on the part of the user however, Linux is getting better.

Ubuntu was the easiest Linux install I ever did. I started a lONG time ago with kernel 1.0.13. You had to do a LOT of configuration with a text editor. Ah, the good old days.

All the Best,
Doug White

memento
08-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Doug - Microsoft was found to be a bona-fide monopoly, and that is perfectly legal. Their problems are because, being a monopoly, they have to abide by a different set of rules that prevent them from using that monopoly to crush competition.

I'm not concerned about Apple losing too much on this news. They should be able to overshadow it and divert attention with great products (such as my brand-spankin' new MacPro with 2 dual-core woodcrests :D ). They might take a financial hit one quarter, but then it will be over.

With their new Intel architecture and the ability to run WindowsXP natively, they are getting more and more converts.

Linux is fun to poke around with, but I never get much further than that. I've been doing it on and off for years, going back to before they had a GUI. They REALLY need to simplify it more if they are going to get Joe Public interested.