PDA

View Full Version : JOA ready to bottle in 1 month?

jesse2205
08-20-2006, 04:51 AM
I have 4 batches of JoA. The first 3 weeks they were fermenting nicely under a kitchen sink in 70 degree weather, then, i had to move it to a storage room for 2 weeks in 95-100 degree weather!! when i got back all the batches were clear as crystal, and i checked the gravity and it was 1.035, i don't know the starting gravity for them tho becuase i didn't have a hydrometer, so do you think these JOA batches are ready to bottle? or should i wait another month to bottle them?

Dan McFeeley
08-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Difficult to say just yet. What kind of bread yeast did you use for the JOA? Yes, it makes a difference. I used a rapid rising Red Star yeast and got differing results, including high residual sugar in various ancient melomels.

MeadFan
08-20-2006, 11:32 AM
You risk killing your yeast at temperatures above 95 degrees, unfortunately. You should also add +0.0005 to your hydrometer reading if you haven't already, due to the high temp.

However, I could be wrong. My own JAO is at 35 days today and it's almost ready as well. Tried tasting any of them yet?

jesse2205
08-20-2006, 12:18 PM
I used 1 batch red star regular yeast and 3 batches fleishmans. They are all cleared and all the fruit is at the bottom. I tasted a batch, i have never tasted mead before so i don't know what it should taste like. But this batch has a strong citrus flavor with not much sweetness

Muirghein Tarot
08-20-2006, 04:05 PM
I made a batch in April-May that was clear as a bell in 30 days. When I tried it it was harsh and not at all sweet. Now the temp at that time was around 90.
I let it age after I racked it off the fruit till the first of august and it has not improved in the least. I tried to back sweeten some and it was an improvement, but not much of one.

I added a half gallon of orange juice and three pounds of honey to it and pitched a pack of Laven D47 into it. It's more of a bastardized orange melomel now than a JAO. But it tastes a lot better.

JAO may be more of a spring, fall mead than a summer recipe.
Tarot.