PDA

View Full Version : Made a new batch tonight but OG is low?

Wloch248
08-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Can I add some more honey tomorrow? SO far I have

5gal spring water
15lbs bulk honey from local seller.
2 packs d-47
3tsp yeast nutrient

I have it in a big plastic primary (about 6 1/2 gal to the top)

My OG (corrected for 80 degree temp) is 1.0876 give or take 0.001

I thought I had more honey to put in but I came up short. I really wanted a OG of around 1.112 to end with a sack mead.

Can I add a few lbs tomorrow when I stir without too many problems? Also I will not have very much head room at all so should I empty some out into a small primary for more room?

kace069
08-24-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm wondering, what was your target volume? 5 or 6 gallons?
Looking at the recipie I can see why you ended up short on your OG. 15# of honey should equal about 1 gallon and 1 quart. So with 5 gallons of water that comes out to about 6.25 gallons. Another 3# = another quart and a big mess in the morning.

I see no reason why you couldn't add the extra honey now, just like you said.

I think I would let the mead ferment out a bit (maybe a week). Get some lees forming. Then rack onto your honey addition. I figure your going to have some loss one way or another. This way you can get your hydro reading and a nice fat sample of the mead to boot. The d-47 should have plenty of oomph in it to ferment out what ever your put into it. Its going to add another racking, but I don't mind letting my mead sit on d-47 lees for a long while.

Oskaar
08-24-2006, 02:38 AM
I think kace069 is on the right track. You can also add in some honey and stir with a lees stirrer to both aerate the must and dissolve the honey into it. If you want a sack, I'd suggest at least another 5 -7 lbs of honey.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

finburger
08-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Like they said! 15 lbs and 4 gallons will make a nice sweet mead. That extra gallon of water diluted it too much. You'll need the extra honey.