• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Made a new batch tonight but OG is low?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Wloch248

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2006
Can I add some more honey tomorrow? SO far I have

5gal spring water
15lbs bulk honey from local seller.
2 packs d-47
3tsp yeast nutrient

I have it in a big plastic primary (about 6 1/2 gal to the top)

My OG (corrected for 80 degree temp) is 1.0876 give or take 0.001

I thought I had more honey to put in but I came up short. I really wanted a OG of around 1.112 to end with a sack mead.

Can I add a few lbs tomorrow when I stir without too many problems? Also I will not have very much head room at all so should I empty some out into a small primary for more room?

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I'm wondering, what was your target volume? 5 or 6 gallons?
Looking at the recipie I can see why you ended up short on your OG. 15# of honey should equal about 1 gallon and 1 quart. So with 5 gallons of water that comes out to about 6.25 gallons. Another 3# = another quart and a big mess in the morning.

I see no reason why you couldn't add the extra honey now, just like you said.

I think I would let the mead ferment out a bit (maybe a week). Get some lees forming. Then rack onto your honey addition. I figure your going to have some loss one way or another. This way you can get your hydro reading and a nice fat sample of the mead to boot. The d-47 should have plenty of oomph in it to ferment out what ever your put into it. Its going to add another racking, but I don't mind letting my mead sit on d-47 lees for a long while.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I think kace069 is on the right track. You can also add in some honey and stir with a lees stirrer to both aerate the must and dissolve the honey into it. If you want a sack, I'd suggest at least another 5 -7 lbs of honey.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

finburger

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2006
Like they said! 15 lbs and 4 gallons will make a nice sweet mead. That extra gallon of water diluted it too much. You'll need the extra honey.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns