PDA

View Full Version : First batches and introduction

goose_entity
09-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi, everyone ;D

Stuart here, courtesy of a gift subscription from my wonderful wife!

So, I already have one batch under my belt - it was a basic apple/cherry melomel made with 8lbs local wild flower honey and some apple / cherry juice from Wallyworld :laughing7: that turned out to be very dry in taste, with pronounced apple flavour. It goes well with fish and with chicken :)

The batches I have fermenting away just now are:

BATCH 1
96 Fl Oz Elderberry wine base
14lbs local wild flower honey
made up to 5.5 gallons

BATCH 2
4lbs Orange Blossom honey
yeast & yeast food
water to 1 gallon

BATCH 3
"Wake up call"
4 tablespoon Colombian Arabica ground coffee
3lbs wild flower honey
yeast & yeast food
water to 1 gallon

BATCH 4
"Quetzovercoatl's revenge"
8 tablespoon Ghirardelli cocoa
3lbs wild flower honey
2 whole dried chili peppers
yeast & yeast food
water to 1 gallon

Sadly, the only thing I need to acquire now is a whole load of patience while I wait for it all to fininsh fermenting :BangHead:

insanity
09-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Wow! & Interesting!

Welcome to Gotmead!

akueck
09-04-2006, 12:46 AM
I second the wow. The chocolate chili mead sounds really interesting. Keep us posted and welcome.

Little Mick
09-04-2006, 03:19 AM
It is guys like you who we have to thank for such things as Blue cheese and Haggis. Inventive souls who follow through on the question 'What if'? Well done, man. Do us all a favor and throw up a couple of brew logs.

JayH
09-04-2006, 03:36 AM
Mole Mead, I like it.

I was brought up with Chile in my chocolate milk, so it sounds great to me.

Welcome to GotMead

Cheers
Jay

GrantLee63
09-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Welcome Stuart ! :cheers:

What kind of yeast did you use with these batches ?

goose_entity
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

Since pitching the yeast on Saturday, the "wake up call" has gone berserk, blowing some of the coffee into the airlock o.O and the Revenge has about half an inch of thick foam at the top :-D. The mead was a slow starter, but is now bubbling away merrily. This is the reason why I am loving the meadmaking - it's a living product, so the results will vary so much :)

GrantLee63 - I am using Lalvin ICV-D-47 yeast, which is the one recommended for mead by my local supplier (Alabrew).

Oh, and Little Mick? Appreciated the haggis comment being, as I am, Scottish ;)

Cheers,

Stuart

Scott Horner
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Welcome aboard :wave:

You'll fit in fine! We are all just a little warped here, except for me who is a lot warped. I too want to hear about that choco/chili mix.. sounds good.