• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

need cheap easy way to Filter JAO...

Barrel Char Wood Products
C

CrimsonMead

When it comes time to bottle my JAO, I need a cheap and easy way to filter it. I know there are special filtering devices for wine with micron rated filters. Would a coffee filter work well? I want to get as much of the mead without taking yeast along with it. Thanks in advance for any help.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
My suggestion is to not filter. Unless you want to add more sugar, the yeast left in the mead shouldn't be any harm. And if it's clear, your mead will have very little yeast in it anyway. In any case, yeast is high in B vitamins--it's good for you!

I would stay away from filters that aren't "in-line" to avoid oxygenation of the finished mead. Any yeast you inadvertently pick up while transfering will either settle at the bottom of the bottling bucket or settle at the bottom of the bottle. Not shaking the bottle before pouring should be enough to keep the yeast out of your glass. (I assume that tiny amounts of yeast in the bottle will not contribute any autolytic flavors, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

If you don't have one, they make little plastic knobs for the bottom of racking canes. Liquid gets sucked down from above, so you can rest the cane on the less and not suck them up. I also very gently tilt the fermenter as the liquid level gets low, to get as much as possible into the bottles. If you do it slowly (really really slowly), you shouldn't kick up too much yeast.

Good luck!

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
I usually just set the last bottle aside for myself. It is usually the only on that picks up much yeast.

Cheers
Jay

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns