PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cyser made with woody cider

mattman
09-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey all I started a cyser a couple of days ago. I used home pressed cider. I didn't taste the cider before putting togehter the batch of cyser. When I tasted the cider today I noticed a distinct woody flavor, probably from the press I used. Does anyone think this will show up in the finished cyser? If so is there anything I can do to minimize the woody after taste? :-[

Oskaar
09-13-2006, 01:03 AM
It will be difficult to comment on the recipe without seeing it. Would you please post your exact recipe? That way we can take a look at the other ingredients and give some better ideas.

Off the bat I've found a couple of things that will help mitigate the woody flavor of the press are:

1. small grape tannin additions at racking
2. oak treatments using American Oak Cubes (medium toast) at first racking. I use about 1.5 oz of the oak cubes (not chips) and let them sit for about eight weeks while tasting.

The tannin adds astringency to help soften the pungency of the wood flavor already there and also helps to clear, maintain a nice golden color and prevent oxidation.

The oak treatment will help to blend the wood into the background and add some nice vanilla, caramel, roasty-toasty wood sugars that give some nice mouthfeel to ciders.

You may also consider malo-lactic fermentation, but that's a tricky affair with cyser.

Hope that helps, and don't forget to post that recipe.

Cheers,

Oskaar

mattman
09-13-2006, 05:37 AM
I used the Cyser-S.C.C. recipe. 2.5 lbs honey, 0.5 gal cider, water to one gallon and champagn yeast. Thanks for the input Oskaar.

Mattman

Oskaar
09-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Nema problema!

If that is a one gallon recipe then I would adjust the amount of Oak Cubes to 0.5 oz and check after three to four weeks of exposure.

Also one grape tannin addition at first racking of about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon should help to mitigate the wood.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar