• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to down scale a recipe?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
First off, I'd like to start by saying Hi to everyone. I've posted several times but never really introduced myself. I wanted to get a feel for this board before deciding on staying. The community here appears to be really nice and very knowledgable. I just paid my dues and am excited to be an official member of Gotmead!

In planning my next several meads (5 way split batch trying out different yeasts, a methaglin, and a melomel) I've decided to try the Mead Day recipe Strabana Cabana. The recipe calls for a 5 gallon batch but I was wondering how I could scale down the nutrients for a 5 gallon batch?

Here is the recipe so you don't have to look for it:

Strawbana Cabana Mead
Strawberry Banana Melomel
Makes 4.5 to 5 gallons.
O.G. = ~1.130
F.G. =~1.010
Ingredients:
18 lbs Wildflower Honey
18 lbs strawberries - frozen or fresh
4 lbs ripe bananas (about 8 bananas, added in the secondary fermenter)
3.5 gal water -- Use spring water or other water that is free of chlorine and bacteria. Carbon-filtered, or pre-boiled tap water will work fine. If you have hard water, consider using bottled spring water.
2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Yeast Energizer (added in ¼ tsp increments)
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (DAP – diammonium phosphate) (added in ½ tsp increments)
Potassium Sorbate (optional)
Clarifier such as Isinglass or Gelatin (optional)
10 g (2 packages) Lalvin Narbonne Yeast (71B-1122)

The instructions have you dosing with DAP and energizer using a 1/4tsp daily over the first several days. I'm assuming that using 1 packet (5g) of yeast for a 1 gallon batch is fine but I'm not so sure about the nutrients. Is there a definitive guide on the proper usage of various nutrients somewhere on this site? I read the one in the newbies section and it stated .5-1tsp per gallon of must. I'm assuming this means total amount of the two nutrients split 50/50. I have a high precision scale I use to measure out water modifying minerals when brewing beers.

I may just go with the 5 gallon recipe but I'm trying to keep my 'brewing' related clutter in the house to a minimum. My wife has been understanding about my beer brewing but now.. mead mazing? She thinks I'm starting to get carried away. I think she's right ;D

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Honey, your wife is about to get really ticked at you, so make that 5 gallon batch, you'll be glad you did. You can bribe her with it later.

But, if you're cutting the batch down, I would work with the nutrients at the recommended amount per gallon. I'm sure Oskaar will weigh in on this, but I've always had good luck with the nutrient general directions.

A packet of yeast is fine for the 1-gallon batch, and no, there isn't a definitive guide for the proper usage of nutrients. Now you've got me thinking about trying to make one....LOL

We're glad you're here, and welcome. Thanks again for jumping in on the Challenge and becoming a patron. Don't forget to cruise the Patrons Only boards, there's lots of valuable info there, and I'm posting a lot of articles from the old American Mead Association that are pretty interesting too.

Anyway welcome!

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Rezzin said:
The instructions have you dosing with DAP and energizer using a 1/4tsp daily over the first several days. I'm assuming that using 1 packet (5g) of yeast for a 1 gallon batch is fine but I'm not so sure about the nutrients. Is there a definitive guide on the proper usage of various nutrients somewhere on this site? I read the one in the newbies section and it stated .5-1tsp per gallon of must. I'm assuming this means total amount of the two nutrients split 50/50. I have a high precision scale I use to measure out water modifying minerals when brewing beers.

I may just go with the 5 gallon recipe but I'm trying to keep my 'brewing' related clutter in the house to a minimum. My wife has been understanding about my beer brewing but now.. mead mazing? She thinks I'm starting to get carried away. I think she's right ;D

Hello Rezzin -- it might be easier to figure out amounts of nutrients for a smaller batch by converting teaspoons to grams, and then working out amounts per gallon. You can find a chart of conversions figures for calculations like this on Jack Keller's winemaking site, specifically, right here:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/measures.asp

I think your wife will become quite understanding about your meadmaking once she's tried some. ;D

Rezzin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks Dan, that page is great. I just saved it. I've decided to do the 5 gallon batch of strabana cabana sometime in the next several weeks. I get paid next week so I'll be placing an order with millershoney.com :)

I was going to do the 5 gallon split batch w/ different yeasts next but I'm not sure I can go through 5 gallons of apple juice in a week. I know I could just do a cyser but the funds are limited and honey isn't as cheap as I hope it could be. :sad1:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns