• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

when to add yeast

Barrel Char Wood Products

69*camaro

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2006
Why do the recipes tell me to add the yeast after I have added the total amount of water? Why not add the yeast to the must and then add the total water? Would it not be mixed better that way?

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
It has to do with osmotic pressure and rehydration (assuming you're using dry yeast). Yeasts need a little time to rehydrate and stir from dormancy to "ready for action." It needs to be done carefully, and according to the instructions on the packet, else you won't get the full amount of active yeast.

It's also important to introduce the yeasts, carefully, to a fluid density (osmotic pressure) that they're adapted to. Adding dry yeast to a must before adding water would be harmful to them. A very rough analogy would be dropping a scuba diver into a deep ocean, rapidly, with no time to adjust to the increased pressure. The yeasties need time to stir, wake up, and adapt to their new environment.

Hope this is helpful!

And BTW -- welcome to the forums! Feel free to post any questions here, or elsewhere in the forum best suited to the question. Let us know how your meads are doing!

69*camaro

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2006
Dan, thanks for the quick response. So I rehydrated the D47 yeast poured it into the must and then immediately added the remaining water to 5 gallons. Did I do severe damage to my yeasties? It is perculating at about 1 bubble every 3 seconds (I pitched it yesterday at about 4pm).

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
69 Camaro,

Sounds like your yeasts have started, remember to stir it well to give the yeast lots of oxygen, this only applies during the first three or four days, after that oxygenation should be avoided as much as possible. also go gentle on the stirring to start, or you may end up with a geyser.

Wrathwilde

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dan,

That's a great post about the osmotic pressure during rehydration and right on the money. Great analogy with the scuba diver, I'll use that one for sure! Hmmm, still gotta work Jaws into that analogy somehow! LOL

Wrath is on the money about stirring the must with the intent to oxygenate as well. It is ok to stir your must throughout the fermentation as long as you do it very slowly and with the purpose of keeping the yeast in suspension. So you'll want to be very careful about not splashing the surface of the must, and go very slow and watch the rate that the foam rises. Sure, mead geysers are fun to watch, but as Wrath mentioned try to avoid that!

Cheers,

Oskaar

69*camaro

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2006
Thanks guys,
I have been gently stirring each day. Getting 2 bubbles per minute.

I really appreciate the help. This is a great website!!! As soon as I produce something drinkable, I will decide if this hobby is for me. Then, I intend to subscribe. This site has made it really easy to learn enough to feel comfortable starting on this learning expedition.

Current batches:
1 gal JAO (5 weeks old, quit bubbling at 3.5 weeks)
1 gal Concord wine (2 weeks old and very little activity, will check SG today, getting concerned)
5 gal Trad Mead, JM recipe, pitched 9-19 as above
1 gal No Age Sweet Mead, JM recipe, pitched 9-23, did not have Fermax, used nutrient (hope I didn't screw up)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
69*camaro said:
Thanks guys,
I have been gently stirring each day. Getting 2 bubbles per minute.

I really appreciate the help. This is a great website!!! As soon as I produce something drinkable, I will decide if this hobby is for me. Then, I intend to subscribe. This site has made it really easy to learn enough to feel comfortable starting on this learning expedition...snip

This is a very reasonable approach to deciding on why and when to subscribe. We hope you like your mead, and hope you decide to suscribe.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns