PDA

View Full Version : Buckwheat Honey Off-flavor?

amesius
09-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I picked up some Buckwheat honey from Some Honey Company and I got to wonder about it. I've heard this is a strongly flavored honey, but should it taste of petroleum smoke and smell like burned plastic? I'm wondering if maybe they got some plastic into their smoker fuel.

Oskaar
09-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Welcome to Gotmead.com!

Hmmmm, can you tell me if it is Eastern Buckwheat or Western Buckwheat by chance? Generally Eastern Buckwheat honey will trend toward a barnyardy smell according to many people, while Western Buckwheat is more of a caramel/molasses/nutty kind of flavor.

Where did you purchase the honey, and do you know where it came from geographically?

Cheers,

Oskaar

amesius
09-24-2006, 07:13 PM
I bought it in Texas from Central Market. I'd guess it's eastern as Some Honey is located in Wisconson.

Tsuchi
09-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Oskaar,

Ok i'm curious, east vs west do you mean asia vs the america's or new york vs california?

tsuchi

now wondering about really forign honeys.... hmmmm time to dig up the address of my friend's exchange student :)

Oskaar
09-25-2006, 07:42 AM
LOL,

I'm just talking about Eastern US vs. Western US honey. The honey is different in other countries as well. In Europe for instance they have some very interesting Forest Honey, Sweet Chestnut Honey, Buckwheat Honey and Acacia Honey (False Locust) as well. So each geographical region will have different types of honey.

In California and the west Buckwheat plants grow wild and are one of the first plants to pop up after the rainy season along with sumac and poppies.

Cheers,

Oskaar

ucflumberjack
10-01-2006, 01:19 AM
i got 2 gallons from ebeehoney.com and its got a pretty molasses kind of flavor to it, i love it.... waiting on yeast/equip to get started.........