• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

now what?

Barrel Char Wood Products

69*camaro

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2006
I made a 5 gallon batch of traditional mead (JM recipe). It has stopped fermentation after 1 week. SG is 1.001. Do I transfer to carboy and age or what?

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Hey 69*Camaro

Please post the exact recipe you made as those in the know will need that info before they can provide you with any advice.

By the way, welcome to the GM Forums! :cheers:

69*camaro

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2006
12# Honey
10 grams D47 yeast
2.5 tsp Grape Tannin
water to 5 gallons
fermented at 72 degrees
Did not have OG (just bought a hydrometer)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Take a gravity reading about every four days and see if the gravity is still dropping. With D47 I suspect it will go a bit further. I'm guessing your OG was about 1.07-1.10 or somewhere around that, so D47 will take that dry as a bone since your PABV is about 12% and D47 will normally run to 14% ABV tolerance, although I have a batch of Cherry Cyser right now that is sitting at 17+, so it can go very very dry based on the recipe you cited.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

69*camaro

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2006
Thanks for the advise. So, let it remain in the fermentation bucket until it quits dropping sg? I assume I will need to sweeten it at some point. When is the best time to do it?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You can either let it remain in the bucket for a while longer, or you can rack it to a carboy and let it clear completely before stabilizing.

From there you can backsweeten and bottle, keg or let it bulk age in a fresh carboy some more if you wish.

I like bulk aging.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns