PDA

View Full Version : Lemon JAO?

69*camaro
10-03-2006, 08:36 AM
I was making my second batch of JAO yesterday and decided to make a third using lemons. I followed the original recipe completely except, 2 lemons without seeds and a small piece of ginger. It is a little slow fermenting.

Any thoughts as to whether this will work or what to do differently?

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Two lemons in a one gallon batch may make the must a little acidic. People make lemon-ginger meads with great success quite often so there is nothing inherently wrong with the concept...

Good luck,
Pewter

69*camaro
10-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Since I just made it late yesterday, can I just pull a few of the lemon slices out?

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Since I just made it late yesterday, can I just pull a few of the lemon slices out?

Unless it is stopping the fermentation, I personally would not mess with it.

However, it is early enough that you could remove lemon (I'd suggest half of it) if you choose to go that route...

Good luck,
Pewter

69*camaro
10-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks Pewter. The fermentation is about once every 3 seconds now. I think I will just leave it alone and be prepared for the worst. Can you tell me where to find information as to the proper PH?

JamesP
10-03-2006, 06:26 PM
My lemon JAO didn't show the spices as much as in an orange, in fact hardly at all. They were over-powered by the lemon/lemon rind flavour.

I would recommend doubling the spices to balance the astringent lemon/lemon rind flavour (Pewter definitely wouldn't like this one :laughing7: )

It is different to normal lemon (juice/zest only). I will have to wait to see how it ages (2-3 years at least for optimum mellowness?)

Ginger - a great addition. I didn't deviate that much on my batch.

69*camaro
10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
James, thanks for the input. I am trying to decide if I should wait for intial fermentation to quit before doing anything else. The thermometer is at 72 degrees and if my other batches are any indicator it will really quiet down after about 6 days.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

JamesP
10-03-2006, 11:30 PM
I forgot to mention - Lime is a wonderful addition.

I think my lemon/lime is better than lemon JAO.

Whether better than lemon using juice/zest? I'm still waiting on that one.

JayH
10-05-2006, 03:38 AM
I like to substitute limes for the orange in my JAO. However from experience I can tell you, it is easy to get to many limes. I find that one large lime per gallon is enough.

On the other hand, 4 limes with 4lbs of honey makes a great snow cone syrup. Something different for summer parties.

Cheers
Jay

69*camaro
10-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Ok, I couldn't stand it. I pulled 1/2 of the lemon slice out. It is still bubbling along pretty well.

OOH, Lime mead? I like that, add a little tequila over crushed ice?

Recluse
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
"Wastin' away again on Margarita Mel....."

Sorry..couldn't resist!

Dan McFeeley
10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
"Wastin' away again on Margarita Mel....."

Sorry..couldn't resist!

Sounds like the beginnings of a great song. Think I'll cross post this to the Hive and see what our creative folk can come up with. ;D