PDA

View Full Version : 14.5% ABV in 3 weeks???

CrimsonMead
10-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey everyone,

I made a Traditional Sweet Mead 3 weeks ago using a honey called BeeWeed along with D47 yeast. I used 17lbs and the OG was 1.130 and in only 3 weeks the gravity is 1.019. So its about 14.5% ABV. This seems like an incredibly fast fermentation to me. I was shooting for a FG closer to 1.025. So can I move it to another carboy now or should I wait? And do I just need to add more honey and then make sure its not fermenting anymore when I bottle it? I appreciate any advice.

David Baldwin
10-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Crimsonmead,

It sounds like you had a good healthy fermentation that finished pretty much where you were shooting for.

Congrats.

A good healthy fermentation with proper nutrients and withing the optimal tempurature range for the yeast should ferment quickly and completely. I would worry about a fermentation that drags on more than 30 days.

Go ahead and rack at this point, and monitor it for continued fermentation. When it is well and truly done, you can then stabilize it and backsweeten to your tastes.

If it stays at 1.019, I'd leave it right there and let it bulk age for 6+ months before bottling.

David

kace069
10-06-2006, 01:33 AM
I agree with David here. Sounds like you had a textbook fermentation. I am willing to bet that it finished in less than 3 weeks. Good good good.
Let that sucker age, I have one aging now at 6 months with about the same ABV and is just now starting to come around, looks like its going to be stubborn about clearing but man is it getting tasty.

Oskaar
10-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Hey CrimsonMead,

I'll bet your fermentation was even faster than you think. I use D47 quite a bit, and I'm generally down to alcohol tolerance in about two weeks or less. In cysers mixed with cherries my gravity will drop about twice as fast as in a traditional in some cases so it's not unusual to see a drop from an OG of 1.145 to 1.020 in 7 days or less. I loves me that D47!

Cheers,

Oskaar