PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I cheated Now what?

69*camaro
10-08-2006, 08:04 PM
I just sampled my very first batch of anything that resembles wine. Original JAO to letter. But, it is a week early. It was very good!!! However, just a little hot to the nose after a swallow. I think it alcohol. I did use 2 cloves and the nutmeg and allspice. What do you think caused this?
I did like it enough to make a 6 gallon batch today. Hope to have it in time for Christmas holidays.

Should I switch to a more reliable yeast, such as d47?

Your opinions are appreciated!!!

Pewter_of_Deodar
10-09-2006, 09:44 AM
If you are happy with the first AO, duplicate it. I'd personally change back to 1 clove per gallon maximum (maybe less, cloves can be potent). But I wouldn't change anything else unless you can identify a problem that the change is fixing or something the particular change would improve.

Good luck,
Pewter

finburger
10-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Relax and let it age a bit. My JAO was "hot" at 2 months, and very tasty at 3 months. The "hot" taste had mellowed out.

JayH
10-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Don't switch the yeast. I experimented with a bunch of batches among them was D47 and EC 1118. The D47 is just now starting to be drinkable at 4 1/2 months; the EC 1118 is still to hot (alcoholic) tasting for me. They will probably work out with time, but not by Christmas.

I have found that I like it best if I rack to secondary at about 2 months and let it age another 1-2 months before drinking.

Like I said before, make lots of batches so you don't drink all of it before it's time.

Cheers
Jay

69*camaro
10-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the help!!! I think I will go ahead and bottle and let it sit for awhile.

Amen to making several batches. If this batch is any indication, it will be hard to keep this stuff around.