PDA

View Full Version : fortified mead?

69*camaro
10-10-2006, 09:07 AM
I am thinking of trying a Lime based JAO and would like to fortify it with tequila. Is this the correct method? Make a one gallon batch, let it ferment completely and then rack into secondary with tequila. How much tequila?

JayH
10-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Mead Margaritas.

I just tried that with my Lime JAO. The lime flavor was a bit strong but it made a great margarita.

I'd just add the Tequila before drinking.

All three of my guinea pigs liked it, however they did say that it was a tad bit strong. My usual of 1 to 1 1/2 shots Tequila, 1/2 shot Triple Sec, 3 shots mix was a bit strong when the mix had a 12-14% alcohol content. Also I left out the lime juice that I usually add to it.

Cheers
Jay

69*camaro
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
seems like you could use 1/2 lime, 1/2 orange in the fermentation. (triple sec is orange based) add good tequila after final fermentation (in small amount)to let it meld. ?????

finburger
10-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Bourbon porters usually have a pint of bourbon for 5 gallons beer. Following that guideline would be 3or 4 ozs of tequila per gallon of mead. Its a starting point as you can always add more.

The lime mead/tequila sounds interesting. Do you kust substitute limes for the orange?

JayH
10-11-2006, 02:26 AM
I just substituted 3 small to medium size limes for the one orange, I figured it was about the same volume. I just started another batch with just one lime. While I liked the lime flavor of the first batch, it was very strong and in your face. As I said somewhere else if you like the strong lime flavored syrup they use for snow cones you would have liked this.

I recommend trying just one lime.

Cheers
Jay