• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Funny Smells

Barrel Char Wood Products

Kube

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2006
Okay, I actually have a few questions. First of all, this is my first batch. I am making a 5.5 gal. batch of basic mead. 12 lb of local clover honey and 3 of buckwheat honey. I can't remember what yeast I used. I would check but I'm not at home right now. Anyway, my baby has been perking strong for almost a month in primary now and I'm getting bubbles about every 15-20 seconds. I couldn't wait any longer and pulled out the ol beer thief. I had a half a flute of it and I have successfully made alcohol. The only problem is that there is a slight off smell and taste. I don't know if this could just be the yeast or if I have done something wrong. I know I did make one mistake at the beginning. While I oxygenated the must very wellbefore pitching, I forgot I was supposed to aerate it the first few days. Could this have something to do with it? Also, it seems that fermentatin is still going very strong after a month. Should I go ahead and rack even though its still bubbling merrily? Sorry for the long post. Just first time parent jitters I guess.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Let it continue to age for 6 months. Unless you were getting a vinegar taste, what you have is probably a natural result of the fermentation. Taste it again in 6 months and you should be very happy with the results...

You will want to rack it sometime soon as well...

Good luck,
Pewter

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Kube,

Before you rack off the lees, be aware of a couple of things.
First, racking off can sometimes stall the fermentation. If it is going strong, you may just want to leave it be until fermentation drops to about 1 bubble every 30-60 seconds or so.
Second, depending on the type of yeast you used, and whether you like the taste and mouthfeel imparted by these yeasts, leaving it on the lees until fermentation ceases may not be a bad thing. Do a quick search to read other's oppinions on lees aging and decide whether you want to rack off, or just let it sit.

Angus

Kube

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2006
The yeast I used was lalvin k1-v1116 Just looked on the chart and saw that it has a tolerance of 18-20% I guess that's why it's still going strong. I'm considering just continuing to add honey to it until the yeast gives up. My friends will be disappointed having to wait even longer but I would like to end up with something that will really knock them on thier butts.

Little Mick

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2006
Hey Kube,
I feel your pain/worry! My first two batches are going along right now and I used to obsess over them constantly. I'm surprised there is any left after all the 'test samples' I have taken. Luckily I have been forced away from my batches for four months and this might be the only thing to have saved my sanity. Don't worry be patient, it will all come out ok in the end.

Kube

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2006
Thanks guys. I needed the encouragement. Mick, if you don't mind me asking, what types are you making? I decided to start with a basic honey and water batch. I figured it would be a good start before I start experimenting with other flavors. My og was 1.089. I'm now sitting at 1.006. Is this good, bad or normal? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns