PDA

View Full Version : Not Only Good For Your Heart ....

GrantLee63
10-15-2006, 08:17 PM
..... But for your BRAIN too !!!!! :cheers:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15279713/

WRATHWILDE
10-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey, look at that, Speed does too!

Speed may protect the brain against stroke damage (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10287-speed-may-protect-the-brain-against-stroke-damage.html)

So the new procedure if you suffer a stroke is what... Aspirin washed down with a glass of Red Wine followed by a hit off the crack pipe. :toothy10:

Wrathwilde

GrantLee63
10-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Then it's final .... my next batch will be a Methamphetamine Melomel .... LOL

ucflumberjack
10-16-2006, 01:28 AM
ive got an old bottle of hydroxucuts with ephedrine, should i add in primary or secondary? maybe wait and add with oak for aging? lol......

Dan McFeeley
10-16-2006, 04:32 AM
You could also stop by the local health food store and look for pill form grape tannin, or resveratrol. ;D

There's been a lot of research on health benefits of alcoholic beverages, with most of it focusing on those with high polyphenolic content. Dark beer figures in this, as well as red wine. What do you know? Guinness really is good for you! :cheers:

I saw a research article a few years ago on alcohol itself, with strong suggestions that moderate consumption helps ward off dementia. The type of beverage consumed didn't matter. It was good old ethyl alcohol itself.

The key to this is moderate consumption. There's a kind of therapeutic window in all these studies where, occasional consumption has no effect, but too much consumption has ill effects. If you want the health benefits of alcholic beverages, you gotta go easy.

A note to WW -- put away that crack pipe! ;D ;D ;D Alcohol consumption combined with cocaine creates a compound in the body called cocaethylene. Cocaine alone can have toxic effects on the heart, but cocaethylene is even more toxic.

Only joking, of course. Still, it's something the general public should be more aware of. I do emergency room psychiatric intake at a local hospital, and have warned many of our patients not to do this, to no avail. Cocaine alone can cause coronary spasm and subsequent cardiac apoxia, leading to dangerous and potentially fatal arrhythmias. Heart attacks can result. Crack cocaine and alcohol? Much worse. Just a few weeks ago I was telling a patient, already had one cocaine related heart attack, "If you don't quit now, the next one could kill you."

Like I said, only joking. I've nothing at all against recreational use of alcohol. After all, I have an Irish ethnic heritage which is known for a romance with "the creature," as they put it.

WRATHWILDE
10-16-2006, 08:24 AM
A note to WW -- put away that crack pipe! ;D ;D ;D Alcohol consumption combined with cocaine creates a compound in the body called cocaethylene. Cocaine alone can have toxic effects on the heart, but cocaethylene is even more toxic.

No worries, I've never liked the feeling Methamphetamines induce and my heart beats fast enough as it is... I'm just hoping for some good news on Shrooms, something like once or twice a month is recommended for males over 30... I'm really not concerned what the benefit is just as long as there is one. :toothy10: Of course then I'd have to move to Oregon or Washington, so there would be drawbacks.

Wrathwilde

ucflumberjack
10-17-2006, 06:40 AM
if you like shrooms you might try lower potency salvia, its peffectly legal and doesnt last very long....(hope i can post this)

WRATHWILDE
10-17-2006, 07:54 AM
its peffectly legal and doesnt last very long.

Where's the fun in that? Give me a good 4 to 10 hour trip... Wheeee!!! It's been 10 years since my last one, but hundreds of fond memories and only one bad trip (21 hits with a "you're never coming back" mantra), since then visuals have been very hard to generate, but thanks for the suggestion.

Wrathwilde

Angus
06-06-2008, 10:27 AM
It's Back!

Now, small doses of Resveratrol (http://news.wisc.edu/15296) apparently can help save us. Does Mead have any of this miracle compound in it? Ones made from certain ingredients may very well. So now we can brew more for the beneficial compounds that will help extend our lives, reduce our waistlines, strengthen our hearts.

:icon_thumleft:

Angus

holycontagion
06-06-2008, 02:43 PM
This is indeed a worthy necro for a thread. There has to be a way to add resveratrol in some way to our meads. Aside from the obvious possible benefits we could mention the addition on our bottle labels for those of us who have commercial ambitions in mind. According to the wiki for resveratrol spanish wines/jucies have the highest concentration. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol

Now the question is what does this do to flavoring and is there any way it can be added without using grapes?

Oskaar
06-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Why do we want to add anything to our mead that isn't necessary and will change the flavor (possibly not for the better). If you want a mead with resveratrol make a Tempranillo or Granacha pyment, or buy a bottle of Rioja. I'm not drinking my mead for my health, that's why I drink wine. Why add unnecessary material to mead in order to make it more "healthy?" Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when the ingredient desired is available in wine, and you'd have to add it to your mead. Again, a Tempranillo pyment sounds like the best way, and if you enjoy Rioja wines like I do there's really no need to adulterate one's mead.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Medsen Fey
06-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Why do we want to add anything to our mead that isn't necessary and will change the flavor (possibly not for the better).

Well, if you are from the spoon-full-of-sugar-makes-the-medicine-go-down school like me, mead can be a wonderful base to use as a delivery system for all sorts of potential tonic elements. One of my big motivators for learning to make mead is the thought that I will be able to develop meads that can be used for providing herbal supplements in a way that makes them tasty. Let's face it, most herbal things (pills, teas, or whatever) taste like Bleaahh. Sir Kenelm Digby's closet was filled with recipes adding things that probably did nothing to improve the flavor, but still made Metheglin that might be useful medicinally. So reservatrol being added in some fashion to a mead as a medicinal tonic might make perfect sense depending on what you want to accomplish.

"Tonic meads" and/or "Health & Mead" might actually be a topic worthy of creating a child board under "Ask your mead questions here" (or in such other location as you and Vicky deem appropriate) - just a thought.

Medsen

holycontagion
06-06-2008, 11:55 PM
One of my jobs is at a liquor store owned by wine connoisseurs and with my (modest) knowledge of how varied honey types can be I'm constantly amazed more people aren't into meads along with wines. As a result I'm always considering good ways to bring meads to the masses and the addition of resveratrol could just be an extra selling point for the dubious. I like Oskarr's idea of making a pyment and just allowing the grapes to bring the additive (along with tannins) and I may just give it a whirl, with proper logs for the site of course. =)

Medsen's idea of a mead as a tonic of sorts is also quite interesting. A part of me doesn't like to think of mead from a strict marketing standpoint but there's something for everyone and it's the more the merrier when it comes to this craft in my opinion. Ahh I do love this site. I think it may be time to become a patron.

Oskaar
06-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Interesting.

We'll consider the topic board after we've made the move to the new forum software.

I don't think I'll ever be a real fan of adding things to mead in order to make it a delivery system for medicine. However, if you take a finished traditional or pyment, and pour a glass, it makes more sense to me to add your medicine to a glass of it along with whatever other things you want to add in order to make the additive more palatable. I actually do this with mead when I'm dosing myself with vitamin and mineral supplements (although, let's not kid ourselves, the booze definitely impacts the effectiveness of what we're taking) in order to cut that gnarley aftertaste.

My suspision is that over time your reagents will fade not only in taste, but effectivness if added directly into the mead before bottling or kegging. During the aging process not only the flavor but the chemical composition of ingredients changes and fades somewhat. I see that as an issue for the effectiveness of whatever is added. Without some fairly sophisticated equipment it's going to be difficult to determine if after time the desired ingredient is really effective still.

Cheers,

Oskaar