PDA

View Full Version : TOO much Fermentation Banana & P.B Melomel

griff_consortium
10-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Ok I started this after making one good mead.
It's in a one gallon jug.
2lbs bananas
1 Lb Jar of Jiff Peanut Butter
1.5 Lb Clover Honey
1 Lb maple syrup (imatation unfortunately)
Yellow Star pastuer Champane Yeast.
5Ml Nutrient,
water to almost one gallon (but not that much gave some room)
<5ml amount acide blend.

Blended ( With large blender) bananas and jiff with small amount of warm water, added honey and syrup. Let cool to blood temp and pitched yeast. S.G : 1.1 or as best I could
Smelled INCREDIBLE! Brought back memories of childhood.
IK called it King Of Meads as reference to Elvis' love of Peanut Butter and Bananas.

Problem: Bubbled out half a gallon on to counter! Must smelled and tasted incredible though.
< half gallon left, but its fermenting.
Also my house has water softener if that helps.
I really need to log this recipe, my brother has his carboy ready to make the same thing but doesn't want a floor full of 2.5 gallon must. lol
Any help on the next batch would be appreciated!

Tsuchi
10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
wow bannana nut explosion... Snicker, (sorry about the mess) My most practical advice is to recomend a bucket, a BIG bucket (5 gal :) ) for your primary I have read that some fruits and also oil heavy musts are messy fermentors and many a recipie will recomend either an open ferment for your primary or a blow off tube instead of and air lock because they tend to clog less. I personaly have used the blowoff tube to good effect with vigorous firmentations. My blow off tube usualy consists of about six inches of 1/2 " tubing comming out of a rubber cork, either taped or rubber banded into a short glass of water.

Best of luck and please keep us informed on how she progresses.

Tsuchi

Oskaar
10-16-2006, 10:55 PM
From what you're describing this must should have been about the consistancy of of a peanut butter/banana malt. Did you take a gravity reading on this?

I'm thinking you may need to add more water from what I'm reading.

Cheers,

Oskaar

griff_consortium
10-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Oskaar, Tsuchi,
Thank you for your help!
The Specific gravity was HARD to determine around 1.1 before I pitched yeast but this was a malty must as you say almost milkshake, I blamed this on the blender which really whipped the must up with O2, plus our softened water.--Note to self used bottled spring water, and let must settle from high whipped parafet.
--Update 10/16 added more bottled water to remaining must. Not as sweet smelling but still bubbling fine. 4 seperate distinct layers formed. top banana "Cream" layer. Second is an oil layer, third layer is the Mead then the bottom silty peanut butter.----Note to self use browned bananas next time and less peanut butter?
Thanks again.