• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Post, First JOA, First Cyser. Oh, MY!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Twinpanther

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 13, 2006
First, thank you for such an awesome site. I've wanted to do this for years and after reading so much here I finally had the guts to give it a shot.

Second, made JOA as my first attempt. Used Orange Blossom Honey from a local bee keeper sold at my neighborhood Cidermill.

24 hours - 1 bubble per 60 seconds
40 hours - 1 per 20 (maintained this till day 4)
4 days - 1 per 30 (was slowing down so I topped it off as directed)
4 days + 1 hour - Bubbling like CRAZY (including a little foam in the airlock)
I make sure there is water in the lock so no air gets in. Seems to be doing well.

Third, OK, never been a one for finishing one project before going overboard on a second I tried my hand at a simple Cyser.

5 Gal Fresh Pressed Cider (Pressed once a year for just this sort of thing hence my not waiting, LOL)
15 lbs. Clover Honey (Same supplier as my JOA Honey)
Red Star Pasteur Champaign Yeast

Serilized EVERYTHING!
Warmed honey bottles in warm water.
Added honey to 3 gal of cider.
Mixed/aerated by hand till my arms wanted to fall off to ensure all honey was disolved.
Topped to 6 gal and mixed some more.
Tested with Hydrometer. 1.300 OMG! Calmed down, looked more carefully 1.130 /whew! (Want a sweet Cyser)
Prepared yeast per package directions.
Placed fermenter in 68 degree basement.
Pitched yeast.

24 hours - No Bubbles
48 hours - 1 per 32 seconds

That's where I stand right now.
Comments/Suggestions?

Thank you all,
Twin

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Welcome Twin,

Did you add nutrients when mixing?
Are you continuing to aerate the must for the first 72 hours?
Did you add nutrient at the end of the lag phase (when foaming appears)?
Did you add nutrient and energizer at the 1/3 sugar break?

You will find that proper dosing of nutrients (including O2) will give you a much healthier fermentation. Check out Oskaar's recipes to really learn how to dose your must properly. He leads you through everything step by step.

Good luck,

Angus

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns