PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion on mailing mead

Leonora
11-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Greetings,

So I have 12 (maybe 15) - 12 oz. bottles of mead to enter into the IMF.

I sure would appreciate any help with how to mail these in.

Wrap in bubble wrap? Send UPS or USPO? Are there bottle mailers?

I am totally unsure what to do to send these precious bottles away and give them the best chance of arriving unbroken and unshocked.

What is the story with these once they arrive? The numbers listed on the website of the numbers of entries (multipled by 3 bottles per entry) is a staggering number of bottles. How are they stored?

Thanks,

Leonora

P.S. I guess I do have the option of driving to Boulder to the Redstone Meadery and dropping them off. But would really like to mail them as we are really swamped.

Oskaar
11-19-2006, 03:06 PM
I use FedEx ground. DO NOT tell them that this is mead, tell them it's vinegar samples, or olive oil samples but ONLY if they ask. USPO and UPS are right out, they will be very inquisitive about what you're shipping.

You can order 12 pack beer shippers here (http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Business/Landing2055a2154.html) or anyplace closer to you that has them. I place wadded up newspaper in between the bottles to keep them from jiggling around too much.

The bottles are stored in a nice cool area of the brewshops that are the intake points for the contests, and then moved to another cool place and staged before being moved to the hotel. We do our best to be sure that they are treated as well as we would treat our own precious meads.

FedEx has been superb in my experience, and my meads have arrived in excellent shape. Last year we had well over 630 bottles of mead, and in all of that there were only 3 or 4 bottles broken if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Leonora
11-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the info!

Will get to work on this so I get my entries in!

Leonora who spent the day packing up my kitchen in preparation for demolition! New kitchen here we come!

Summersolstice
11-20-2006, 08:15 AM
I had to drive to Denver on business last week so I carefully packed my two entries (six bottles) in a box with shredded newspaper and styrofoam peanuts and delivered them by hand to the LHBS in Westminster. Of course I didn't save any money since I had to pick up a few items I discovered I "needed" while browsing during the time the owner was helping another customer.

Leonora
11-20-2006, 12:02 PM
SS,

Of course! There is always a new toy or some more yeast or something! hee hee

Got the kitchen packed up and half destructed yesterday so onward and upward! Yay! When we moved into this house 15 years ago I said (and I quote) "This kitchen has to go." Since then we've renovated almost everything else. But finally, it's time!

Leonora